What was your *aha* moment?

Options
I am still struggling to make a change and find the motivation/energy/drive to really change my lifestyle so that I can be a healthy, confident person. What motivated you to make a permanent change?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lots of things like not being able to fit in the chair at the movies, constantly bumping into things because I thought i could fit, but couldn't. I have also had some family members that lost over 100 pounds and are keeping it off.

Mostly, I am finally aware of my weight and I am tired of feeling tired all the time.
  • oldbutnotover
    oldbutnotover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recieved a year and a half of therapy and realised throughout this process that I could learn to love myself enough to make sure that I'm fit and around for the long haul.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A variety of things - seeing photos and not recognizing myself, or thinking that I looked 6 months pregnant (and I was not) but the latest takes the cake - miscarriage. I didn't miscarry because I'm over weight. But I'd sure like to be normal weight if I find myself pregnant again. I want to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.
  • branflks
    Options
    my kids, i have a 8 yr old boy, a 6yr old boy and a 2 1/2 yr old baby girl with a ton of energy and I dont want to be that mom that sits in a chair while my kids are out playing :) plus I want my husband to stay attracted to me. I have lost 43 lbs since jan, I feel great and i want it to stay that way
  • eugenia00
    eugenia00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took a picture at a baby shower where I was standing near the mom-to-be and you could not tell who was pregnant, ME or HER!
    :-(
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was tired of just how I felt day in and day out, but always said "I'll start tomorrow". I reached my breaking point at my daughter's first birthday. A family member snapped a picture of me in front of the grill cooking burgers and hotdogs... and it is of me right when I was turning around... the way that I looked... I couldn't do what I was doing anymore.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I turned 30 and realized that my father died at the age of 33. Life is precious and short, and you never know how much longer you have. I didn't want to waste one more year feeling and looking the way I did. Nobody else can do this for me.
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The motion in the mirror when I shook the shaving cream can.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I just started being that person.

I had to fight for my life and I never wanted to waste another day of it. Too many people are happy to go through life, half awake and slowly turning into shells with no personality, who just dont have passion for anything but the mundane and the rut-inducing.

I cant

i just cant

no YOU CANT MAKE ME
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    for my bday my bf (who i'll admit has issues picking gifts and overheard me say i wanted to get a juicer) got me a juicer for my bday because he thought my new years resolution was to lose weight (it was not)

and a day later i bought a scale and got on and saw that at 5ft 2in tall i was over 200 lbs.

that right there did it more than the juicer.
    yes siree
  • cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i was 264lbs and had ridiculously high blood pressure..
    i decided i love life too much to check out from being a fat pig.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Doctor's appointment when I weighed in at more than I thought I'd ever weigh. I felt so disgusted and hopeless and out of control. Over the next week or two I lamented my terrible fate, and slowly came to realize that I needed to change. That I was doing something wrong, and even though I wasn't sure exactly what, I needed to figure it out.

I got educated about how many calories are in different foods, how many calories it takes to fuel my body properly, and how few calories are actually burned through most exercise. In short, I'd been overestimating and underestimating these amounts BIG TIME.

Once I started to get educated, I realized that I AM IN CONTROL. That was the magic bullet. And still is, nearly two years later!