Swimming Questions

Options
Hi all, first off, i dislike running and jogging for the simple fact that it stressed my ankle which i injured some time ago so im thinking of taking up swimming again. For a petite 5'1 lady i have quite the broad shoulder because i used to swim during my childhood so my main concerns are not to build muscles on my shoulder and back. Is freestyle the only way to go? My sister has told me that froggy is good for building shoulder and back and epp! i've been doing that more then freestyle because it was less tiring.

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hi all, first off, i dislike running and jogging for the simple fact that it stressed my ankle which i injured some time ago so im thinking of taking up swimming again. For a petite 5'1 lady i have quite the broad shoulder because i used to swim during my childhood so my main concerns are not to build muscles on my shoulder and back. Is freestyle the only way to go? My sister has told me that froggy is good for building shoulder and back and epp! i've been doing that more then freestyle because it was less tiring.

If you are not trying to tone/build muscles in your shoulders then I suggest using your legs more by having a swim board and just kicking with your legs. Other than that swimming uses every muscles (core, shoulders, arms, legs)
  • rachyrach0211
    Options
    i broke my pelvis in half about 3 years ago and have recently started doing water aerobics and love it. we work all parts of our body and you burn alot of calories in a short time...for me i burn about 350 cal per hour. anyways, i thought that might be a good alternative to just swimming.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I only ever do breast stroke (froggy) or backstroke as I find it easier to control my breathing on those, I've always struggles with freestyle, so just don't bother with that. I guess it's down to individual preference, I'm only 5'2 but I don't have huge muscles on back or shoulders. I usually alternate between swim days & gym workout.
  • Arilysal
    Arilysal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kgprice11 : thank you for the suggestion! i didnt think of doing that, thats a wonderful idea!
    rachyrach0211: ouch, i hope you are all recovered now, unfortunately water aerobics are not readily available in my country, something i've always wanted to try :(
    LooptLou25: lucky you! i bulk up easily because of my body type i guess :(