Why do i do this to myself?!?!

Options
i feel like im on a roundabout. it was only a week ago i was praising my efforts at eating well and feeling better about myself and today ive gone and totally distroyed it all and i could easily keep going.

i dont know why but im STARVING today. i also have no intention get any exercise done, i just dont feel like it and my clothes have suddenly become about 2 sizes too small for me! how can this happen in a space of 3 days? Am i carrying water weight from this weekend? am i using that as an excuse?!?!

i have spent all day looking at the classes at my local gym determined to sign up but after having my lunch i just realised that i know i wont sign up. i know i wont walk down the road to the gym which is literally on the same road as where i live... why am i so lazy? i have a wedding in less than 2 years and i need to lose about 30lbs.

i always stick to a plan for two weeks then fall off the wagon and moan like a little ***** that i cant lose weight! how do i change my mentality?? argh this is so frustrating!

i am blaming it on the fact i dont have a gym buddy cos no one lives local to me.... why do i even need a gym buddy? can someome please help me, HOW DO I STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND MOVE MY FAT *kitten* INTO GEAR?

why are there people out there that LOVE the gym? i hear people say how they havent been for one day and they cant wait to get back on it, i cant help but look forward to my day(s) when i dont workout.

how so i set my mind to say "right, get up and put your kit on and get to a body pump class" i have no reason why i cant go. i just dont want to.

*RUT*

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A little bit of protein does a world of good staving off hunger. I eat a few cashews the moment I find myself hungry and just log it. It makes the whole day go better.

Honestly, I hate the gym and if I thought that was how I had to get healthy and lose weight I'd just quit.

Weight loss is mostly about what you eat. Exercise keeps you healthy and makes you look fantastic, but that's different.

If you're not up to the gym right now, just focus on your eating. And take a walk. Much easier than the gym, it's free, and it really will make you feel better and help your health. I track my walking and found my speed has upped from 2 to 5 mph - which is almost as fast as I used to run.

Then find some activities that you do like to do. Maybe some of them are in the gym. Or find something social that takes your mind off the fact that you're exercising, like contra dancing, or kayaking, or bowling or ballet.

But just get started and keep going. But don't start too big or it gets overwhelming. One step at a time.
  • tship74
    tship74 Posts: 48
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber to curb that appetite. Also, I hate working out everyday. But then I look in the mirror and see where that got me. You can do it!. The only easy day was yesterday!
  • madelongrin
    madelongrin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For starters you are just having a bad day! Everyone has a bad day every so often and feels how you feel.

I started off exactly the same as you and would yo-yo diet and lose some weight and then when I got near to my goal, I would feel really pleased with myself and let myself put all the weight back on. I have learnt that one bad day doesn't ruin everything. However, you do need to make sure that after that one bad day you get back on track, otherwise it can jeopardise the success you have had.

You don't NEED the gym to lose weight if you don't enjoy it. It definitely helps and it will potentially speed up the process but fi you don't enjoy, set your expectations lower in terms of the weightloss you expect each week and be happy with it.

I only enjoy the gym because afterwards it makes me feel like I have achieved something and it makes you feel good. I definitely don't enjoy it whilst I am doing it!! You need to find an activity or something you enjoy doing and that will definitely help!

Don't beat yourself up about it. It will come. 30lbs in 2 years is easily doable. I have been on MFP for over a year and I am now at my 25lb stage. What is keeping me motivated is my wedding in under 3 months. You will definitely find the motivation when your wedding creeps up on you so enjoy the time you have now to find out what works for you and keep doing it! :-)
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are spending way too much time torturing yourself with THINKING about going to work out... just go DO it! Then it'll be done and you can move on with your day. The gym sucks at first... you feel out of place, you don't know what to do, it is out of your routine, ect ect. But once you get it the habit of going you won't think twice about it. AND you'll feel so much better about yourself. Just decide that you are not giving yourself the OPTION of going to the gym, you ARE going to the gym. Also, look for activities you enjoy doing that burn calories. Then you'll want to work out. Go swimming, biking, running, try it all!!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think I can...I think I can...I know I can!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking everything! You're simply having a bad day, I think we all have those "urgh" days... Take a few deep breaths, have more protein and fiber to curb your appetite. Tomorrow's a new day. You don't need a gym buddy to get things done. I used that as my excuse too and frankly now I don't want one (don't have one either) but you just need to take a step back and stop over thinking... Big hugs to you!
  • Darlin
    Darlin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein!! Protein is your friend. It keeps you from being hungry and burn fat. There are all kinds of protein you can snack on also.
    Hang in there. Only you can decide to keep on going or let the over eating win. :) You can do it! Good luck!
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I used to do the same thing. I would get on a "health kick" for a couple of weeks and then suddenly lose all motivation and quit. What I've learned is to take it one day at a time. If you feel like eating a cookie today, eat a cookie! Just log it and move on. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You don't have to eat an entire box of cookies, or a huge slice of cake, or whatever it is that you're craving. Just learn to have everything in moderation and don't deprive yourself. That's what helped me the most. If I thought I could never have a cheeseburger again, I'd just go ahead and shoot myself.

As for the exercise: I haven't been to the gym since January. I went for about a week, then realized I hated it there. So now I just use workout DVDs (namely Turbo Jam) and I walk/jog outside sometimes. You just have to find an exercise that you enjoy! Turbo Jam is really fun for me because it's kind of like dancing, and the instructor, Chalene Johnson, is incredibly motivating. Plus the workouts aren't torturous, and I can see results. There are tons of options, so find one you like and stick with it. Good luck!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    put yourself on a plan. eat at whatever your mealtimes are, regardless if you're hungry or not. when i first began getting healthier, i would only eat a couple of times a day and my metabolism was ****. i find my binging has almost stopped completely because i eat regularly.

find ways to incorporate water into your day - all day.

find things that you like to do that will get you moving. yes, some people don't like to exercise. i didn't used to. there are days where i'd rather lay here in the bed and not move. i feel better and i'm starting to look better so that's what i think about when i can't get motivated. i get up and i do it anyway. swimming, window shopping, parking at the back of the store lots, walking, cleaning, planting flowers, biking....... anything that is fun to you won't feel like a workout. it's not about tricking yourself. you have to get through your slump and find something that makes you happy and motivates you to get up and going. once you've gotten past the "i don't want to and i'm not going to" phase, more things (like the gym) will be easier to stomach.

it will happen. i've got a little over a month til my wedding. i started august of last year. it's not been easy but i'm still standing, moreso i'm still trying.

(i think we have the same ring, lol).

add me if i can be of help to you. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time, then you either need more calories per day, or you are not getting enough nutrition with your food choices.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And as far as working out, you have to WANT to look good. Once the workout is over, you are glad you did it. I think self-motivation comes from our deepest desires. If you are making excuses, which I used to do, then it's because you don't want it bad enough. Find an exercise that's easy and fun, and just do it. Personally, I jog in place at home and do toning exercises and such right in my own bedroom. I can't afford a gym, but you do NOT need any gym or ANY fancy equipment if you want it bad enough.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    try changing your plan every two weeks then. try something different whenever you are struggling. rather than sticking to the same plan again and again. if you are getting board try to mix it up. if it is because you are restricting too much try adding more but good more ( more fruit/ vege/ nuts/seeds lean protein)

try cooking your favorites rather than buying them (if you do) then you get the sens of accomplishment. and next time you cook it try making a healthier substitution (skim milk in a cheese source, oats in chili (for bulk and fiber) add an extra portion of vege to a cottage pie etc.

keep trying to switch it up when you are struggling.

have a motivation board. all the reasons why you are doing this so you can remind yourself( your dream dress your healthy goals your motivation

write and re-*kitten* your goals every two weeks and have two weekly goals to hit ( loose 3lb every 2 weeks / have burnt 3000 calories/ a cm off your hips) etc. something you can challenge yourself to hit. it doesn't matter if you hit them or not but make your goals SMART - Specific

Measurable

Attainable

Realistic

Timely

so you can stick to them

good luck
    and instead of going to the gym go for a walk go to the park and just chill. accept that today is hard, and do your best.

2 sayings for you
    will power is a muscle you need to exercise it too #
    and
    you won't get the butt you WANT sitting on the Butt you HAVE.

also peppermint tea is a great help for me when i have snack attacks.
    plus planning
    i have lunch and 2 snacks with me to take to work and a weekly coffee / emergency budget and i don't take my wallet with me so i can be tempted. I find it much easier not to have a 3pm chocolate break because i am not in the habit and i have something satisfying to eat ( e.g oatcakes with cream cheese and some wafer thin ham )

good luck and smile ( it'll help)

you'll never regret the work out you do... only those you missed
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Everything that's been said!! ^^^^^

Randa, it's not easy, you know I go over regularly and I love a glass of wine, but you have to be firm with yourself. The easy option isn't always the right one, and the more you over-analyse the worse it will be.

Instead of thinking about eating and drinking healthily as an option you need to start accepting it as fact. Give yourself one day a week off, doesn't matter which one so you still have a social life without having to worry too mch about how many cocktails you've had. But for the other days ACCEPT it. :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time, then you either need more calories per day, or you are not getting enough nutrition with your food choices.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight.

Hear her!
  • trust463
    trust463 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my husband and i use stickers on a calendar. it feels good to put that sticker on the calendar and feel the accomplishment. we set ourselves a 500 mile walk challenge (only roadside miles count and not pedometer miles) and we are both very close to 350. we have 2 miles and 4 mile walks mapped out and try to get at least 4 stickers on a week. sometimes lawn mowing and other chores override the walk, but we find motivation with stickers.