New rules of lifting for Women-Any success stories???

Options
Hi I just got this book from the Library and I am nervous to try the routine. It says to eat 2100 calories with a 3 workout plan a week, it says you will lose weight but I am nervous to eat that many calories. Has anyone tried this routine and had success? Maybe I should just do 1600 cals and follow the workout plan but not nutrition (as far as cals go)??? He says you shouldn't do more than a 300 cal deficit of what you would burn a day from normal activity but that would still put me at 1800 cals a day. Idk that just seems high. I am female 5'6 191lbs and need to lose 56lbs....Help!!!

Replies

• cherrytulips
    Options
    i'd be interested to hear some responses to this too, since i'm going to start lifting soon also :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here for it! You should join and check out some of the posts in there.

I just started (on week 3) I don't eat that many calories, I find his estimates to be too high, I honestly think 1600 would be fine. for myself it wanted me to eat 1900 on non workoutdays and 22-2300 on workout days...and I'm pretty sure I would maintain weight on around 1700-1800 so I felt like it was too high. People in the group may have better advice, but I would think 1600 would be a good amount
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't follow that plan, but I do train really hard. Don't let the calories scare you. You wont' get fat. I eat 2400 calories a day, I'm 5'4 and over the past 4 months I have only gained 8-9 lbs, but it's been muscle. Start taking pictures and you will be amazed with the results.
    I know it's scary to do what you have been told will make you fat, but just go for it. There's nothing that I can say or anyone else that will demonstrate this better than doing it for yourself.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump> Ordered my copy from Amazon...due to arrive today. Curious to hear success storys from MFP's. Some of the reviews on Amazon were quite informative.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I eat 2050 per day on average and I'm losing (my TDEE is 2300)
    don't worry about it
  • MissWana
    MissWana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do just over 1800 calories a day but make sure I burn at least 500 of them on cardio and do a weight circuit 3-4 times a week. Building muscle helps you lose more wieght but you do need those extra calories to furl your exercise or you're just not going to have the energy. You also want full calories like wholemeal foods, not empty calories like rice crackers.
  • a_landry
    Options
    I started to lose weight this past January. I'm down 74 lbs in 8 months. I workout 6 days a week for 1 hour a day. I consume at least 1200 calories a day. If you go below 1,200 calories per day you can put your body into starvation mode. I am going to school for nutrition and weight management and here is a simple equation. Please note these number are approximate. They vary per person based upon how much they weigh.

Say Your Body needs 2,200 calories per day to maintain your weight.
    You need to have a 500 calorie deficency per day to lose 1 lbs. a week. (500 X 7= 3,500 Calorie deificeny per week)
    If you drop your calorie instake to 1,200 calories per day, you will have a daily deficeny on 1,000 caloreis.
    This will put you on the track to losing 2 lbs. per week. This is just based upon nutrition.

If you add exercise to your daily routine, this increases your calorie deificeny, thus increasing your weekly lbs. loss.
    Keep in mind that the harder your workout, you may have to increase you calorie intake slightly to give your body a little back from what you have burned.

Hope this helps :smile:

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]9632962.png[/url]
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If you start that program, your metabolic rate is likely to change dramatically. I suspect that is why the calories seem high to you.

I started a high-intensity strength training program about 60 days ago. It involves all of the major lifts that you will be doing in NROLFW. Prior to starting my program, I was eating around 2,200 calories a day. Now, I'm eating 3,000 calories a day, and I'm still losing weight at the same rate. I'm stunned that my resting metabolism has increased so much, but there have been lots of noticeable hormonal changes that have happened and that may explain it.

If you try to undertake an intense strength training program without taking in sufficient calories, you're likely to eventually burn out and wreak havoc on your metabolic rate and endocrine system.
  • Keffinger22
    Keffinger22 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am just worried I will put on weight instead of lose weight...
  • Keffinger22
    Keffinger22 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I went to the group site and a lot of people say that if you expect to lose a lot of weight that it is not the right program to do. It is more for when you are close to your goal weight and then use it to change your body. They say you will lose inches but maintain your weight. So maybe this isn't the right program for me yet....I was looking for a good routine in the gym to do to lose weight any suggestions?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    So if you can change the way your body looks and lose inches that's not good enough?
    only the scale number matters?

What you will learn is that the # does not matter at all.. its how you feel in your clothes and how you look. Fat loss is what is important.. not the scale #.