20 years old, 150 pounds to lose!

Options
Hello there! My name is Meghan, I am 20 and about 310 pounds. I am starting to get serious about weight loss after a lifetime of struggling with my weight. I have never been able to experience being young, thin, and confident in my own skin, and I want that chance before it is too late. If anyone else can identify I am more than happy to make some friends! It has been a long journey already, trying every diet under the sun, but this time I am just trying to make small changes in both my food choices and portion sizes. I want to make changes that can last me a lifetime, not that I will get sick of in a month and quit and then gain all my weight back. I am a college kid, though, away from my family and most of my friends, so any support I can get here is definitely needed/appreciated!

Replies

• Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck! One big thing is, make sure not to expect too much, too fast. It will happen, but it will be slow. Don't get discouraged if it's not happening as fast as you wished! You're going to get there ;)

Welcome and I hope you get all the support you need.
  • analiasays
    Options
    Hi Meghan! I am in a similar situation. I have been around 250-260 lbs for as long as I can remember and now I'm ready to get serious about starting healthy habits. The biggest struggle for me is food- I have always grown up in a household where fruits and veggies were not common so I'm having a hard time liking them as well as getting creative with new recipes. I'd be more than willing to be friends throughout this journey.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I'm Gemma i have just under 70lbs to lose but you sounds 'ready'
    I'm not ready to eat all clean foods and eat veg everyday thought, I want to enjoy life and not miss out on foods I enjoyed 'I find that helps me alot) My portion size was my biggest problem so starting at that stage!

Hope you find a way that works for you and welcome to a new way of eating x
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm Jessica! 20 years old and trying to lose 100 pounds :] Would love to be friends!
  • misskat22
    Options
    You can do it! It's fantastic that you're realizing now that you need to make changes rather than waiting. I'm 28 and have about 100lbs to lose. I wish I had realized when I was 20 that I needed to do this, instead of now, but the bright side is, we've both realized it! Best of luck!!
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    150 pounds is a big commitment and you can definitely do it! I have been trying to lose weight on and off for the last few years but I am going to finally stick to it no matter what. Best of luck, you can do it!
  • JosianneC
    JosianneC Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can do it in due time! I know exactly how you feel, it has been the same for me. I wish you the best of luck on your journey! MFP is great for support and people are always eager to help!
  • CricketWhiskers
    CricketWhiskers Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started out at 282lbs so I know how daunting it can be starting out near/at the 300lbs mark. It's like stepping off a cliff but I can promise that even though it won't always be fast or easy it is ALWAYS worth it. I'll send you a friend invite, add me if you like. You sound like you're ready and I know you can do it!!!
  • ktadanthony5
    Options
    Hey Im kendra, would love to make some new friends who has about the same goal as me...send me a invite :)
  • mhauk91
    mhauk91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Meghan! I'm also Meghan! :) I only have 60 lbs to drop but I'm in your age group (I am 21l and I know exactly what your talking about. Its all about little changes over a long period of time. We can be friends if you'd like some extra support!
  • gogoganja
    Options
    Hey! I'm glad I'm not alone on these boards. Friends?
  • Anticipated_Serendipity
    Options
    Hi Meghan.

I'm Megan, I'm 24 and I have 95lbs to lose, and would love to become friends and help support one another.
  • ArtemisXXII
    Options
    Hi Meghan,

I'm Briana, I'm 22 and have just under 120 lbs to lose. I started out at 280, so like many other poster I understand how daunting it feels to start this journey to better lifestyle habits. And I'd like to become friends and support one another. We can do it.
  • supernewyorkgirl10
    Options
    Hi Meghan!
    I am Tanya, 21 years old from the UK :D I have around 100lb to lose and am just starting out!
    I have sent you a wee friend request!
    Look forward to chatting and supporting you with your goals!
    xo
  • Charlottina
    Charlottina Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 19 and from the UK
    I have quite a lot of weight to lose and can relate to the never being able to enjoy being Young and thin etc...
    A bit of advice would be if you make changes but then one day stop sticking to them etc... just pick your self up again and try to get back to it the next day.

You can do this :D

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    welcome, mfp is a lifesaver. you will descover that most issues and questions will be asked and there alot of helpful ideas and opinions to help you, just enjoy using the site and dont worry you are not alone xx
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I'm 26, weighed 265 lbs at the height of my obesity, and had 100 lbs to lose. I now have 20 lbs to go.

Amanda
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Hannah, 22 and have been here for years but took time off as I thought I could do it on my own.. I have around 70lbs to lose and would love to be friends - with anyone on here :)

we can do it!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am turning 20 and started at 254lb, now about 220lb. Feel free to add me, Id love to help :)
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im 23 and started out with around 100lbs to lose, could probably stretch to losing around 110 - 115lbs though. I've lost 23lbs so far, its not easy but people on this fab site really do help! I will add you and see if I can help at all