10 Suggestions to help in Lifestyle Change

Options
I'm a relative newbie, and don't have all the answers by any means, but here are some thoughts I have had since I started the journey to live a helthier lifestyle, featuring weight loss. Comments welcome and please let me know if I'm way off base!

1) You are not on a diet anymore than anyone else is on a diet. Most likely your diet will feature weight reduction, but there can be other goals as well.

2) The scale doesn't rule your life. If you didn't lose as much (or even gained) it doesn't make your goal impossible. There are fluctuations due to water retention, hormones, the time of day and variations between scales.

3) Your goal weight is a goal. You are not going to lose all the weight you want to lose in a day, or week, or month.

4) Nothing goes in a straight line. If you lose five pounds one week, you shouldn't expect to lose five every week.

5) Don't compare your progess to someone else. You and your metabolism are unique to you.

6) Don't give up! We all have bad days. Some of us have bad months, years and decades.

7) Reward the positives.

8) Change your lifestyle in a way that you can maintain.

9) Exercise is your friend, but don't overdo it. If it really hurts more than burns, maybe you can dial it down a bit.

10) Since I'm watching the Olympic closing ceremonies--"Look on the bright side of life".

Replies

• Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all 10 points. We tend to focus on what we are not achieving instead of what we actually are achieving.
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    those are really good for motivation
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Very encouraging !
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    All very good, positive, simply put points. I'm sure they'll be very helpful and motivating for some who are struggling with this journey.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Those are all good tips. Usually when someone posts a list like this, it will have BS like "Don't skip breakfast" and "Don't eat after 7pm". Good job.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    This is one of the first lists on MFP where I actually agreed with everything...
  • monica2434
    monica2434 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is one of the first lists on MFP where I actually agreed with everything...

I agree..
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eileen_k789
    Options
    Helpful to pull out of a slump:laugh:
  • sbarbry
    sbarbry Posts: 38
    Options
    I completely agree with all 10 points. We tend to focus on what we are not achieving instead of what we actually are achieving.

Totally agree!!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Great list and I agree with all of them. Well said.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    these are great, and just want to point out the one about the scale is IMPORTANT. Also, keep in mind that if exercise is increased, it's likely muscle will increase, which will also mess with your weight but isn't actually a bad thing. =]
  • lorib1108
    lorib1108 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great list! totally agree!
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Great encouragement for life in general!