Losing weight after 50

Options
Hi, I am over 50 (:wink::) ) and trying to lose 40 pounds this year. I know they did add on quickly so trying to be realistic about how long it will take for them to come off. It appears that losing weight as you age becomes a little more difficult. Has anyone else had experience in this area such that they can share?
361266.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• anneadams
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Except I'm about 10 years older than you. I don't anticipate that it's going to be as much fun to loose this weight as it was to put it on. However, I'm determined. My problem seems to be the exercise part of it. I can't seem to get myself in the groove for that. Good luck this year in gaining your goal. I will be cheering for you.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Yes, it is definitely hard to lose it after 50 (and maybe even harder after 60 but not impossible). I'm living proof of that. I started my lifestyle change at age 61. I'm still at it but am proud of what I've accomplished so far. No secret. We have to lose it just like everyone else. Take in fewer calories per day than you burn. And do everything you can to help speed it along. That includes more exercise, more water, cut out the junk food and empty calories from soda, chips, etc, have a positive "can do" attitude, and increase the time it takes to eat a meal. Snack healthy every few hours, too. You won't have long term success by trying to starve your body. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: There's a great thread on the "Motivation and Support" message board called "women ages 50+ for January"
    if you're looking for support, encouragement, and great ideas, please come join us.......they changed my life and they can do the same for you.
    :bigsmile: Barbie
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am over 50 (:wink::) ) and trying to lose 40 pounds this year. I know they did add on quickly so trying to be realistic about how long it will take for them to come off. It appears that losing weight as you age becomes a little more difficult. Has anyone else had experience in this area such that they can share?
    361266.png

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Oh YA, it IS alittle harder to lose after 50, but, it CAN be done! Just take a look at some of the bigger losers profile pics, and you'll see that it IS totally possible! :bigsmile:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • Apache
    Apache Posts: 1
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with you about attitude. I was always relatively fit and trim until I hit
    menopause at 47. Before this I never had to diet. At 53 I was run over by a car while out
    jogging and spent 8 days in the trauma ward. I've struggled to pull my broken body back
    and can now do many of the things I used to be able to do but I wear out fast. Back in May
    of 09 I committed myself to 5 days of walking (on a treadmill, my husband bought one to
    keep me off the streets) and 5 days of hatha yoga. I was able to keep this up for 13 weeks
    and although I didn't lose weight, it gave me the confidence I needed to take the next step.
    Now I'm 55 and more determined than ever to lose the 30 pounds I've put on in the past 9
    years.

My daughter told me about this website when she saw that I kept a hand written exercise
    notebook. I signed up just last week and have already lost a couple of pounds. I am a
    passionate cook and have been trying some of the recipes I found on Jillian's website
    and not only do I like the food but my husband loves the dishes I've made. I've found that
    attitude is almost everything to the success or failure of a goal. I've got positive intention, doable
    goals, and the will to persevere even when I'm down. One day at a time!
  • mloren
    mloren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Drink that water. I dont know why that works . ( I always put it last on my list, then when I get back on track I get that AH HA moment AGAIN........... why haven I been drinking enough?) Also if you don't PLAN then you PLAN to fail. So make sure you have the right food in the house to make smart choices when you come home from a hard day and just want to give up and for ME eat that big bag of chips, I have my plan for dinner right there in the frige ready to go. Good luck you can do it.
  • Oldroller
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Fifty four years old and my goal was 40lbs also. I'm down to 215 since December 1st and realizing it's going to be harder than I expected. It won't happen overnight, that's for sure. After researching everything, I have to be realistic and expect that 2lbs. a week is a great result and might take a few months to achieve.

Be patient and "just stay with it".
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, it IS possible to lose weight after 50. It just takes a committment to making YOURSELF a priority and starting with small changes that you can live with for the rest of your life. Diets won't work and neither will short term "Quick Fixes". But you can get to your goals by making gradual changes in your food choices, and by getting active. Find some exercise or activity that you enjoy, and then JUST DO IT! You may have to try several things before you find what is right for you, but you are worth it. Keep searching until you find what is right for YOU.
    :happy: Good Luck. And remember to be kind to yourself, and expect to make mistakes along the way. The road to health and fitness is NOT smooth or straight, but you will get there with a little perseverance and a LOT of support from your friends.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sounds like you have been fabulously successful. Keep up the good work. I am just completing my second week and finding it more difficult, but sticking with it so far! I weigh in again on Monday morning so looking forward to finding out I have dropped a few more pounds! Thanks for posting your info.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    361266.png
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You're welcome. Just holler if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.