For those with kids....

Options
I have a ten year old that is working on losing weight...that problem is I cannot find any info on how much a healthy
ten year old should weigh. I know every kid is different, but even just ball park answers would be a big help. If you
have a healthy weight 10 year old boy at about the height of 4'10 or 4'11 how much does he weigh? Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ask your pediatrician
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You could try digging through these charts

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Google NIH growth charts. The first page to come up has links to different growth charts broken down by age and sex.

I don't know what you are doing to help him lose weight, but instead of focusing on losing weight, why don't you focus on eating healthy and maintaining his weight so that he can grow in to his weight?
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Google NIH growth charts. The first page to come up has links to different growth charts broken down by age and sex.

I don't know what you are doing to help him lose weight, but instead of focusing on losing weight, why don't you focus on eating healthy and maintaining his weight so that he can grow in to his weight?

I agree with this. Making a child feel "fat" can only cause problems and you don't want to cause disordered eating. Encourage healthy eating, moderation for sweets and junk, and the child will naturally grow into their weight. This is coming from my own personal experience and my BS in psychology.
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old son is 57" (4'9") and 77 lbs.

I'd also like to second (third?) the previous posters re: eating healthy/smart food choices and daily activity. Sometimes they plump up before they have a big growth spurt. Mine will eat nonstop for two weeks, then sleep for forever. I think he's grown 3" this summer.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    Thanks for the info...yes, I am focusing mainly on helping him to learn about healthier eating but helping him be more active as
    well. I don't focus on the numbers with him because I know how stressed out I was a kid when my mom did that with me. She
    wasn't meaning to stress me out but she did. I want to encourage my son and get him to the place where he feels really good
    about himself. I just want an estimate of where he should be.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You know what a healthy, not overweight kid looks like. So since you're already not going to stress about the numbers, just really don't worry about the numbers, period. Because he'll get taller as he loses weight, so that'll change things anyway. Just keep him active and help him learn about healthy eating, and he'll be ok. Good on you for trying to help him get healthy without the stigma and stress. :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My sons were around 75 pounds at age 10 if memory serves me correctly. They were both very slender at that age though they ate like termites.

The good thing about kids is that you really don't have to focus on teaching them or making them eat healthier...kids will eat what is there. Don't buy any junk food or junk drinks and have him snack on fruit and raw veggies.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Judge based on his appearance and activity level. Every once and a while I get a doctor in the same day clinic that lectures me about my four year old. He's 99.8% for weight for his age. So they start ripping me a new one about letting him "get obese".

What pisses me off is that they don't bother to look at his height, which is also 99%. He's perfectly proportional for a 6-7 year old boy. Perfectly healthy. He's just significantly taller than the average 4 year old. The kid wears size 7 jeans, and he literally JUST turned four two weeks ago. And they fit length wise perfectly.

I saw a kid the other day that was similarly built to my son, but he couldn't run more than 10 steps without having to stop and breathe heavy. Big difference.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Depends on height, my 10-year old son is 5'1" and is around 95lbs. He is pictured in my profile pic.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Ask your pediatrician

safest / best answer
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ask your pediatrician

safest / best answer

i agree !! the pediatrician is the one whom you should talk to.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ask your pediatrician
    THIS
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    My sons were around 75 pounds at age 10 if memory serves me correctly. They were both very slender at that age though they ate like termites.

The good thing about kids is that you really don't have to focus on teaching them or making them eat healthier...kids will eat what is there. Don't buy any junk food or junk drinks and have him snack on fruit and raw veggies.

^^^^Great advice. My boys, although they are still babies, will eat what my husband and I eat. My oldest (3) is very slim, while the baby (17 months) is "chubby", according to growth charts...they are both perfect to me, and I focus on healthy food choices rather than what a chart says is "correct."
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pediatrician thing, and also wonder his height. Every kid can be different, and that was shown by the poster who has a 4 yr old who is proportionately the size of a 6 year old. I was insanely tall as a kid. I was 99 lbs at 8 but over 5 ft. and I was 5 foot 6 by 5th grade and so I was heavier but not because of being fat. I was just bigger. Actually, I was the tallest person in my school.

I also agree that kids eat what is there. I've learned that with my kids. If daddy goes shopping and buys cheezits and ritz and oreos, thats what they eat. If mommy leaves out a bowl of fresh fruits and has baby carrots, celery, and string cheese waiting in the fridge, that is what they eat.