Protein

Options
fortheheart
fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
My doctor wants me to take my vitamins and eat more protein. My hair is falling out in globs. I'm taking the vitamins daily. But as for protein? I'm not much of a cook and I can hardly stand the texture of red meat on my tongue. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, peanut butter, nuts
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also Greek yogurt
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me to take my vitamins and eat more protein. My hair is falling out in globs. I'm taking the vitamins daily. But as for protein? I'm not much of a cook and I can hardly stand the texture of red meat on my tongue. Any other suggestions?

Greek yogurt, eggs, fish (there are a lot of frozen/non-breaded options these days), sandwich meat, black beans.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars...170 calories, low carb, low sugar, and 20 grams of protein :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    peanuts and peanut butter suck for protein, considering the HUGE amount of calories you have to ingest to get much protein.

Dairy, chicken, fish are all good.

Also try substituting higher protein options for your lower protein options - look at the foods you normally eat and replacet hem with higher protein choices. Plain rice can be replaced with quinoa, pasta can be replaced with something like Barilla Plus (more than double the protein of regular pasta), any crackers or chips you usually eat can be replaced with higher protein options.

All that said - how many calories are you eating? What your doctor is telling you is that you aren't getting enough key nutrients - if you are eating very low cal you might just need to eat more food, period.
  • jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    Low-fat dairy (yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark etc - great for sweet desserts, mix up with some sweetener, vanilla essence and whatever you fancy, 18g of protein in a 100cal dessert!), nuts, chicken, protein bars, granola, eggs, meat, fish!
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Think Thin protein bars: no sugar (has sugar alcohols), gluten-free, 20g protein — you can get them at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

Also like others have said: quinoa, eggs, nuts
  • Wolfrower
    Options
    Protien shakes, chicken and cold water fish, lentils legumes are all great sources of protien.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    "Hair falling out in globs." That is a symptom of hypothyroidism. You need some blood tests.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Commonly eaten protein foods
    Meats*

Lean cuts of:
    beef
    ham
    lamb
    pork
    veal

Game Meats
    bison
    rabbit
    venison

Lean Ground Meats
    beef
    pork
    lamb

Lean luncheon or deli meats

Organ Meats
    liver
    giblets

Poultry*
    chicken
    duck
    goose
    turkey
    ground chicken and turkey

Eggs*
    chicken eggs
    duck eggs

Beans and Peas
    bean burgers
    black beans
    black-eyed peas
    chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    falafel
    kidney beans
    lentils
    lima beans (mature)
    navy beans
    pinto beans
    soy beans
    split peas
    white beans

Processed Soy Products
    tofu (bean curd made from soybeans)
    veggie burgers
    tempeh
    texturized vegetable protein (TVP)

Nuts and Seeds*
    almonds
    cashews
    hazelnuts (filberts)
    mixed nuts
    peanuts
    peanut butter
    pecans
    pistachios
    pumpkin seeds
    sesame seeds
    sunflower seeds
    walnuts

Seafood*
    Finfish such as:
    catfish
    cod
    flounder
    haddock
    halibut
    herring
    mackerel
    pollock
    porgy
    salmon
    sea bass
    snapper
    swordfish
    trout
    tuna

Shellfish such as:
    clams
    crab
    crayfish
    lobster
    mussels
    octopus
    oysters
    scallops
    squid (calamari)
    shrimp

Canned fish such as:
    anchovies
    clams
    tuna
    sardines

*Selection Tips
    Choose lean or low-fat meat and poultry. If higher fat choices are made, such as regular ground beef (75 to 80% lean) or chicken with skin, the fat counts against your maximum limit for empty calories (calories from solid fats or added sugars).
    If solid fat is added in cooking, such as frying chicken in shortening or frying eggs in butter or stick margarine, this also counts against your maximum limit for empty calories (calories from solid fats and added sugars).
    Select some seafood that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, trout, sardines, anchovies, herring, Pacific oysters, and Atlantic and Pacific mackerel.
    Processed meats such as ham, sausage, frankfurters, and luncheon or deli meats have added sodium. Check the Nutrition Facts label to help limit sodium intake. Fresh chicken, turkey, and pork that have been enhanced with a salt-containing solution also have added sodium. Check the product label for statements such as “self-basting” or “contains up to __% of __”, which mean that a sodium-containing solution has been added to the product.
    Choose unsalted nuts and seeds to keep sodium intake low.

I copied thi from http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html

Also Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of protein. I have found some protein bars pretty yummy. The Perfect Zone bars and Supreme Protein bars are good. Also, Dymatize ISO-100 protein powder is good. It's only 106 calories, 1 carb, 0 cholesterol, 50 sodium and 24 proteins.
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Peanut Butter, Fat Free Cottage Cheese and Fat Free Greek Yogurt! Just watch and measure your portions!

Here are my favorites:
    Peanut Butter Protein Shake: 1 cup almond milk unsweetened 6 oz Low Fat Greek Yogurt 1/2 Scoop 100% Whey Protein Powder (Chocolate Flavor) 1 Tbsp Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (no preservatives or added ingredients - just the nuts) 1 small banana. It's about a 400 Calorie meal. It fills you up and you get in 24 g of protein!

1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese + 2 Tbsp of unsalted sunflower seeds

6 Oz Low Fat Greek Yogurt + 2 Tbsp Unsalted Slivered Almonds
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    "Hair falling out in globs." That is a symptom of hypothyroidism. You need some blood tests.

Agreed. My sister in law found out she had this. Her family practitioner said her thyroid levels were in the normal zone but when the Enocronologist looked at it they were in fact off. Def something to have checked.
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Oh, I already know I have Hypothyroidism. I'm on thyroid pills. But I guess not enough.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

chicken is a great source of protein, as well as greek yogurt, protein bars, nuts, beans
  • debcraig
    Options
    And go to an endocrinologist for those blood tests, not your general MD. The MD can get you in the general ballpark, but you'd be surprised how much of a difference a tiny tweak in your meds will make in your quality of life. MD's won't 'tweak' the meds the way an endocrinologist will. It's worth it!
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Protein shakes work for me. I can get a good amount of the protein I need from shakes and they come in some really great flavors. If you're interested at all send me a message and I will give you some of the "recipes" I have used that I enjoy. I hope you figure this out. Good luck!