Gross or Practical?

Options
I have about 4 or 5 work out shirts (the air wick type) and 2 or 3 pairs of shorts. I usually come right home from the gym and take a shower. I will rinse my shirt/shorts with hot water and even a little bar soap. Then ring them out and let them air dry.

I will usually wear the shirt 2-3 times, then it starts smelling and it has to go in the laundry. Same thing for the shorts.

Is this gross or practical? Should I just go get some more shirts and shorts?

What do you think?

- Mike

Replies

• phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with hand washing your things, if that is what you are into. Lots of women will only handwash their unmentionables. Lol. I would go with a liquid soap rather than a bar soap because the items in question will get cleaner that way. As to the weird part? Maybe a little, but who isn't?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Gross.......you don't have a washing machine?

There's nothing like passing someone with serious BO to screw up a run.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I have plenty of shirts. I just don't want them sitting aroung stinking up the house until wash day.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I do the same thing and I have plenty of shirts. I just don't want them sitting aroung stinking up the house until wash day.

One of the "benefits" of having smelly athletic kids, laundry never gets to sit around!:laugh:
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    First thought : ew... Then I thought, you know, I wear my jog bras twice before I wash them - especially if it was an inside workout... I wouldn't wear an item more than twice.

On one hand, wearing your stinkies around others isn't terribly considerate, but on the other hand, I can't stand working out next to people who smell like laundry detergent/fabric softener (you're not supposed to use fabric softeners on wicking fabrics anyway...).

As long as your wife isn't complaining about your workout clothes, keep on keepin' on.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it, I've been tempted a time or two to throw my kids in the tub clothes and all lol
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A little gross plus it can lean to skin infections, the smell is from bacteria poo basically eating the sweat & skin :-( Rinsing doesn't get rid of that!
    I'd buy some new stuff and do laundry once a week if you don't have time to do it more often.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Really??

I run past a garbage collection facility - I'd take the faint odor of BO mixed with fresh air over that any day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I do mine in a bucket with soap and water so they are just as clean as coming out of a machine. No smell at all.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I just tie them up in plastic grocery bags, and they definitely don't smell up the house.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with hand washing. I do the same thing so my clothes don't soak up the "stink" from my workouts.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Neither, I think it's preference. I have several outfits but have a favorite that I wear 75% of the time. Only difference is I wash it in the machine every time I workout. It's so soft and comfy from the washing :heart:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have about 4 or 5 work out shirts (the air wick type) and 2 or 3 pairs of shorts. I usually come right home from the gym and take a shower. I will rinse my shirt/shorts with hot water and even a little bar soap. Then ring them out and let them air dry.

I will usually wear the shirt 2-3 times, then it starts smelling and it has to go in the laundry. Same thing for the shorts.

What do you think?

- Mike

Gross. I wash my stuff every time I wear it.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just do a laundry every other day or so. Between my husband, the dog and myself, we usually have a good machine load in that time span. If it rains and I come home soaked, I just toss everything in the machine right then.
    I've thought about hand washing, but I wouldn't do it until there is a bunch to wash anyways, so the point is moot.
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personal wash mine each time, but it seems I'm doing laundry all the time so its not a big deal. grab a small bottle of woolite and use that when you rinse out your cloths.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

What do you think?

- Mike

practical. I think more people should handwash or at least not use dryers so much. Good for you!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in the washing machine after every workout and have no issues. Seems like more work to "rinse with hot water and a bar of soap and then airdry" than to just throw them in the washing machine.

I work out 3x a week and only have 2 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. I consistently have both clean to choose from with the above method.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

What do you think?

- Mike

Why do you do this?

Is it because of having limited number of workout clothes or to avoid laundry day?

If you're really on a tight budget and are just doing the best that you can, no problem. If you have simply committed to only doing laundry on the 15th and 30th of the month, run down to Walmart and spring for 6 or 7 more outfits.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Really??

I run past a garbage collection facility - I'd take the faint odor of BO mixed with fresh air over that any day.

You win! :laugh: :laugh:
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm gross but I see no problem with it. I have 3 pairs of workout shorts and I usually wash them once a week (meaning 2-3 workouts per pair between washings). Shirts I don't normally double up on, usually one workout and they get washed but that's cuz I have a bunch. Personally, my feeling is your working out. There are sweaty, stinky, smelly people all over the place if you're at a gym or running on a trail. You're going to stink anyway once you get sweating again so really who cares. It sounds kind of college-kid to say this but as long as you can stand your own smell, then who cares.