Gross or Practical?

Options

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm gross but I see no problem with it. I have 3 pairs of workout shorts and I usually wash them once a week (meaning 2-3 workouts per pair between washings). Shirts I don't normally double up on, usually one workout and they get washed but that's cuz I have a bunch. Personally, my feeling is your working out. There are sweaty, stinky, smelly people all over the place if you're at a gym or running on a trail. You're going to stink anyway once you get sweating again so really who cares. It sounds kind of college-kid to say this but as long as you can stand your own smell, then who cares.

Yeah, I totally agree.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    When did hand washing become gross?

It's not like he is just hanging them up straight from a workout.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether it's gross or practical would depend on the smell when you put it on, I think. But if you wash it with soap, whether in the shower or washer, why does it smell?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It costs me $1.50 for a load of wash, and a $1.75 for a load in the dryer every single time I do laundry. I work out 6 days a week, have three sports bras (ample chest and playing sports means my bras cost upwards of $60 each so having more than 3 isn't really an option), and while I have many pairs of shorts and t-shirts, I still do a handwash when I get home from workouts every night.

Not at all gross to hand wash. And to those judging, congrats on being better than everyone else. Really, you're awesome.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Is this like the game funny or distasteful? Because I love that game!

I sometimes wash my panties in the sink if I need a pair because I never seem to have clean panties. Gross AND practical always (ALWAYS) trumps gross and impractical ;)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Some of my things I let soak in a sink full of hot water and laundry detergent, then I rinse them out and hang them up...I don't really see a problem with it. On top of that, if you're able to hang them outside in the sun, the sun will kill the odour.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't see a problem with it, I hate doing laundry and cannot justify washing clothes for two people more than once a week. Plus it saves water and in this economy saving on any bills is a good idea!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how smelly you are and how effective your rinsing is :). I used to hand wash all of our clothes and we smelled great (I was trying to be green, but in reality I think I just had too much spare time hahaha). I personally wash my gym clothes daily.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It costs me $1.50 for a load of wash, and a $1.75 for a load in the dryer every single time I do laundry. I work out 6 days a week, have three sports bras (ample chest and playing sports means my bras cost upwards of $60 each so having more than 3 isn't really an option), and while I have many pairs of shorts and t-shirts, I still do a handwash when I get home from workouts every night.

Not at all gross to hand wash. And to those judging, congrats on being better than everyone else. Really, you're awesome.

This.

Y'all realise that there was a whole mess of people doing hard manual labour long before a/c and washing machines, right? Not everyone has the option to chuck stuffin a washing machine everytime they work out.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm gross but I see no problem with it. I have 3 pairs of workout shorts and I usually wash them once a week (meaning 2-3 workouts per pair between washings). Shirts I don't normally double up on, usually one workout and they get washed but that's cuz I have a bunch. Personally, my feeling is your working out. There are sweaty, stinky, smelly people all over the place if you're at a gym or running on a trail. You're going to stink anyway once you get sweating again so really who cares. It sounds kind of college-kid to say this but as long as you can stand your own smell, then who cares.
    I knew I had the logic of a man. :D
  • lifescircle
    Options
    If you're actually washing them with soap (not the bar soap though), that's a good habit.

Because if you're not washing them in the machine immediately, then they just stink up the place and sit in all that sweat.

Just switch out the bar soap. Hand washing them is a good thing.

... not just running water over them... LOL
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a workout outfit twice before washing but now I just sweat way too much- living in the Houston area. My clothes smell AWFUL and they have to be bleached. I just finally got to where I have enough clothes to last me a week.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a workout outfit twice before washing but now I just sweat way too much- living in the Houston area. My clothes smell AWFUL and they have to be bleached. I just finally got to where I have enough clothes to last me a week.

Come on! It's not that bad in Houston! It's like a free sauna when you leave the gym! :D
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    When did hand washing become gross?

It's not like he is just hanging them up straight from a workout.

I agree, what's wrong with hand washing? Personally, I'm not that ambitious. I admire your energy and frankly I bet it saves you a little money too! Bully for you.

I buy enough workout clothes for everyone in the family to last the week. Damp clothes get hung up to dry before throwing them into the hamper. With a family of four, with a dog and 2 cats, I'm never wanting for a load of laundry to do. :-O
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I don't think that anyone was "judging", the OP specifically asked for these opinions.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I was out of town for a week a few months ago and only took one pair of running shorts so after I ran I got in the shower with my clothes on and washed them with soap while I was in the shower and hung them up over night to dry. They smelled fine the next day. I don't see how this is gross - there is actual soap and water being applied to the used garment and it is being scrubbed to remove the nastiness.

I don't do this at home because I enough shorts to get through the week so they just get washed on the weekly laundry day. But I might start now that I think about it.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I wear my gym shorts/shirts/sports bras about 3 days/sessions before I wash them. As long as I don't smell like a sweaty sock then IDC, It is not reasonable to wash gym clothes everyday in my house.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in the washing machine after every workout and have no issues. Seems like more work to "rinse with hot water and a bar of soap and then airdry" than to just throw them in the washing machine.

I work out 3x a week and only have 2 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. I consistently have both clean to choose from with the above method.

Wow!! Do you not have to pay for your own water and electricity? I can't even imagine using the washer and dryer everyday. I'm starting to have a panic attack thinking of how much water and electricity is being used for that, not to mention how much that would cost.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd say gross.

You can't get all the ick stink out of your workout clothes when you rinse them. The only time I'll just do a rinse is when I'm on vacation. I can't run to the laundry mat daily to wash my clothes. I wash our workout clothes ever day. I have several different things to wear but I still wash them every day.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    On Mondays I load up the trunk of the car with 5 tees and 5 stretch pants.
    The end of the week I have a load for the machine. Public clothes changed
    daily.

If you do not have access to a machine....

I have poison ivy out around the house so when I work in the yard and come
    inside where there is a showed one step inside of the back door.....I get in
    the shower with yard clothes on and wash down in cold water and dawn.
    This cuts the poison ivy oils...so I do not spread iit around other clothing towels
    my body. Hang the clothes in the shower and let them air dry or take them out side
    the line to bake in the South Texas Sun....no smells....wear again and wash when I
    have a full load of clothes. At home pig woman clothes can be worn again.

Hit Target for the sales, women's clothing is marked down on Tuesdays I believe and when
    the sale tag price ends with a 4...it is as marked down as low as it goes. Ross stores.