Caffeine.

Options
Okay, I used to be able to drink 2 Monsters a day.. Coffee every morning.. didn't bother me.
I just drank a normal cup of coffee.. and I am a little stressed right now BUT
my heart feels like its gonna pump out! =p I think it might be a combination of stress, coffee.. and just sitting around not really expelling any energy..

How has your bodies reaction to caffeine changed? I know when your heavier it takes more for you to feel it.. like alcohol..

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    But have you been keeping up your caffeine consumption or is this the first time you've had it for a while?
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I've been keeping it up.. Coffee every morning.. and a few energy drinks when I work early..
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I actually just switched to decaf. I noticed last week I kept getting that thumping feeling in my chest and some pressure feelings, but when I would check my pulse it would be normal (high 50s to low 60s). I finally realized that my heart beat was very irregular, and checked with a doctor who said it sound like it was premature ventricular contractions. Caffeine and stress are big contributors to that. I have been under additional stress lately, which I cannot control, but I can control the caffeine. Went off of it on Saturday, and have not had any episodes since then. I drank at least 3, sometime 5 espressos a day (usually as cappucinos) - never really noticed it bothering me before.

Don't know if being lighter and working out more makes me more sensitive....
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's probably that you're eating less. When I have caffeine on empty stomach, I may as well be snorting cocaine (not really, but I get CRAZY).

Other than that, though, it could also be because your heart is being damaged from having too MUCH caffeine over the years. I hate to be one of those people, but those energy drinks . . . they are just so bad for your heart. If you could cut those out and stick only to coffee, I think your heart would feel a lot less crazy. If it doesn't, try eating something with your coffee.
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found that after my pregnancies, I was very sensitive to caffiene. I have been on decaf/caffiene free for almost 3 years now, and I feel great. No more jitters and it really helped with anxiety.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my ex used to drink a pot of coffee and a handful of energy drinks on a regular basis...then he had a stroke because of the caffiene/ginseng/etc overload. he cut off the caffiene for a while, and when he went back to trying to drink it, he was okay at first. but after a while, he started to have chest pains, trouble breathing, paranoia. as soon as he stopped, he was fine.
    over exposure can cause sensitivity. it happens when people develop allergies to dogs when they never had a problem before, or to certain dish soap or anything.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I actually just switched to decaf. I noticed last week I kept getting that thumping feeling in my chest and some pressure feelings, but when I would check my pulse it would be normal (high 50s to low 60s). I finally realized that my heart beat was very irregular, and checked with a doctor who said it sound like it was premature ventricular contractions. Caffeine and stress are big contributors to that. I have been under additional stress lately, which I cannot control, but I can control the caffeine. Went off of it on Saturday, and have not had any episodes since then. I drank at least 3, sometime 5 espressos a day (usually as cappucinos) - never really noticed it bothering me before.

Don't know if being lighter and working out more makes me more sensitive....

If you're looking to get off of caffeine, try Teeccino. I drink the French Roast . You can get it in tea bags or grounds just like coffee. It is herbal, has no caffeine and no acid. (decaf coffee still has some caffeine) It taste just like coffee. Available at Whole Foods stores or online.

I started with one bag mixed in with my regular coffee and increased by a bag each time my supply went down half way. Eventually I was not drinking coffee at all, just Teeccino and I did not suffer the withdrawal headache because it was gradual.
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i am far more sensitive to caffeine. two cups of my usual strong coffee leaves me crazy-anxious. even an exedrin's amount of caffeine can have the same effect. from weight loss? i don't know how that could be.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    2 Monsters a day?!!?! Good God!

Aside from that, it depends on how its brewed. I'm used to STRONG coffee, like Starbucks, but they also cut it down drastically with the milk they put in it. I also do a french press almost every morning.

I can only do 1 cup a day anymore. I def think weight has something to do with it. If I do 2, I'm all goofy. Don't even get me started on Yerba Mate! Love it, but it makes me wacky!

And did you know? You can decaffeinate your teabags! Brew one cup, and then use that same teabag to brew a second cup, and because all of the caffeine has strained out with the first brewing, you're left with a mostly decaffeinated tea.

Truthfully, I'd just bypass it all and go with straight herbal tea. : )
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    It's probably that you're eating less. When I have caffeine on empty stomach, I may as well be snorting cocaine (not really, but I get CRAZY).

I just spewed coffee when I read that!!

(...and cocaine is so much more expensive - well, maybe not)
  • cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nutrient presence in your body can have a huge effect on caffeine's effect on you.
    if you start getting a lot more B vitamins into your body and then have your caffeine, it will ring your bell compared to when you are depleted of your Bs

and yeah, like alcohol, caffeine on an empty stomach is way more effective
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Thanks everyone =)
    I'm thinking about cutting it out all together.. decaf coffee probably.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    nutrient presence in your body can have a huge effect on caffeine's effect on you.
    if you start getting a lot more B vitamins into your body and then have your caffeine, it will ring your bell compared to when you are depleted of your Bs

and yeah, like alcohol, caffeine on an empty stomach is way more effective

Interesting - I have been taking my vitamins much more consistently in the last month....
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If I drink two or more mugs of coffee a day my heart hurts aka heartburn haha (1 mug = 2 cups) Caffeine is horrible when it comes to weight loss to so i try to stay away from as much as possible
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    I drink 5 or 6 cups of black coffee (made from freshly ground beans) every day, mostly in the morning.

I don't have any issues with the caffeine and if for some reason, I don't get any coffee at all, I don't have any reactions or withdrawal symptoms.

Coffee and bread - my drugs of choice :smokin:
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I used to drink coffee every day sometimes twice a day and sometimes energy drinks or sodas......Recently -- like 1 month ago I realized why I had been getting so sick after drinking some -- I'm now allergic to it. I get vertigo, tremors, and sometimes palpitations. Don't know how my body changed but I just know that I miss the "wake up" in the mornings.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any change in my body's reaction to coffee - but then again I've been drinking coffee for many years and through a whole spectrum of weight ranges. I drink (on average) 4-6 cups a day, usually in addition to a couple glasses of unsweetened iced tea and the occasional (*very* occasional) Diet Coke. It really has very little effect on me - I can drink a cup of coffee right before bedtime and have no problem going to sleep.

"Energy drinks", on the other hand - can't stand them. Any of them. I don't like the taste (it's like a nasty chemical bath IMO) and some of them make me very jittery and sweaty.