Gross or Practical?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in the washing machine after every workout and have no issues. Seems like more work to "rinse with hot water and a bar of soap and then airdry" than to just throw them in the washing machine.

I work out 3x a week and only have 2 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. I consistently have both clean to choose from with the above method.

Wow!! Do you not have to pay for your own water and electricity? I can't even imagine using the washer and dryer everyday. I'm starting to have a panic attack thinking of how much water and electricity is being used for that, not to mention how much that would cost.

1.) Gas dryer.
    2.) water, even with me taking a bath every SINGLE day, doing laundry every other day at least, and dishes, etc. is roughly $40.00 a month.
    3.) even if it was more expensive... I don't spend a bunch of money on unnecissary things or live above my means. I have NEVER had an issue where $40.00 on water or even $300 on electricity set me back.

If not just for shear convineance, i don't see why you WOULDN'T do that. If you can't afford water or electricity to do chores, that seems like finances or priorities are not in the right place?

Edit to say: Maybe that's just the way I look at it! To me, it seems like people are always "trying to save a buck" by doing things that already DON'T cost that much money, but have no problem blowing money on food, eating out, alchohol, tanning memberships, etc. =/
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Gross? No. I think it's smart. I have plenty I can wear, and usually just chuck my funked up clothes in the hamper, and they're STILL damp days later when I do the laundry.

Now THAT's gross. Since I'm the only one exposed to my grossness, I don't care.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    Is this like the game funny or distasteful? Because I love that game!

I sometimes wash my panties in the sink if I need a pair because I never seem to have clean panties. Gross AND practical always (ALWAYS) trumps gross and impractical ;)

I have never met a lady who ever ran out of panties. I thought most women had multiple pairs...thank you for the smile. As to the issue...it does not matter which type of soap that is being used. All will remove the oils of perspiration, hence eliminate bacteria and prevent odor. While machine drying might make your clothing softer and more fluffy, it does nothing to sanitize your clothing...so air drying works well...especially if you do not have access to dryer. The best way to eliminate body odor is to use an anti-bacterial soap.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I have plenty of shirts. I just don't want them sitting aroung stinking up the house until wash day.

I just tie them up in plastic grocery bags, and they definitely don't smell up the house.
    I would worry it would mildew in a bag.... Get more clothes. Walmart and Academy have affordable dri fit type garments. They don't have to be name brand. We bought shorts for $7.99 for my husband.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have four active children. There is no waiting for laundry day.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1.) Gas dryer.
    2.) water, even with me taking a bath every SINGLE day, doing laundry every other day at least, and dishes, etc. is roughly $40.00 a month.
    3.) even if it was more expensive... I don't spend a bunch of money on unnecissary things or live above my means. I have NEVER had an issue where $40.00 on water or even $300 on electricity set me back.

If not just for shear convineance, i don't see why you WOULDN'T do that. If you can't afford water or electricity to do chores, that seems like finances or priorities are not in the right place?

Edit to say: Maybe that's just the way I look at it! To me, it seems like people are always "trying to save a buck" by doing things that already DON'T cost that much money, but have no problem blowing money on food, eating out, alchohol, tanning memberships, etc. =/

1) Do you not pay for gas?
    2) Lucky you -- that's about what my water bill is, and that's without having any washer (clothes or dish), just from doing dishes, taking a daily shower (limited to 7 mins max)
    3) $300 for electricity?!?! Damn!! I've never paid more than $80/mo.

**Personally** I think it's a bit crazy to spend money where you don't have to, even if you can afford it (and by that, I mean washing clothes after every workout, not using a washer/dryer on a weekly basis; I don't have a problem at all with people hand-washing, but I can see that convenience wise it might not be for everyone).

But, beyond the cost, there's the environmental factors. I just can't see the point of wasting so much water, electricity, and natural gas. I'm lucky, I don't live in a drought-infected area (but most of my family does). But, that's a lot of water!!!!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have four active children. There is no waiting for laundry day.

I feel your pain. I have five active children. Finding a load of laundry to toss my running clothes in is NOT a problem here.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I cool with it as long as your cleaning them before wearing. Ie. Soap and hot water. Wearing them 2/3 times before washing at all makes my skin crawl. All that sweat/bacterial being forced against your hot open pores while you sweat some more. No thanks. I come home drenched after a work out. No way I'd wear that sports bra again without washing it. With 2 kids, I always have enough clothes for a load so I just do them a few times a week.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you live in an apartment/townhouse that has a central laundry area or if you have to go to a laundromat I think its practical other than that I would wash then, then let them hang on a line to dry.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Gross. Only time I rewear is if I work out at night and didn't sweat much and am doing the 6 am spin, I'll rewear the sports bra and shorts. Then again, I'm super sweaty, so I would smell gross.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Is this like the game funny or distasteful? Because I love that game!

I sometimes wash my panties in the sink if I need a pair because I never seem to have clean panties. Gross AND practical always (ALWAYS) trumps gross and impractical ;)

I have a thing for buying panties. Victoria's secret always sucks me in. I think I had upwards of 50 pairs at last count.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    beyond gross...into the DISGUSTING catagory...if you sweat anything like i do, there's not a remote chance in hell I'd re-wear anything even once...sink washed or just "once more" .... I need some sport laundry detergent...

gross on top of gross, but thanks for asking. :sick:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. He is washing his clothes. Maybe not thoroughly but with water and soap. Why are people calling hand washing gross?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What do y'all think people did a few generations ago? (Other than smell funny.) Before plumbing, people were lucky if they even washed themselves once a week, let alone washing their clothes after each use.

He's washing the clothes with soap... the same soap that's good enough to remove bacteria and odor from the human body. It's not like he's taking it to the river to beat it against a rock.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. He is washing his clothes. Maybe not thoroughly but with water and soap. Why are people calling hand washing gross?

Because you can't get all the nasty ick out of your workout clothes when you hand wash them. I hand wash my workout clothes on vacation until I can get to the laundry mat and do a load and trust me. After about two days the stank begins to come out no matter how well I've hand washed them.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    To all of you people saying "it's not gross, people back in the day had to hand wash everything in a river without soap and just beat their clothes with a rock till they were clean," etc:

I have a feeling that due to a lack of cleaning and hygiene people way back when did not smell so good. Alas, I do not think any of us has the capability to travel back in time to find out.

People way back when also wore natural fabrics. I have a feeling drifit, underarmour, lululemon, etc. require different care. Just a thought.

Also people way back when used to not go to the dentist and had really manky teeth. Do you really want to do whatever people did way back when just because they got away with it?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Instead of Hot Water Rinse + bar of soap:

Throw your dirty shirt and shorts in the shower with you.
    Sprinkle some powder detergent on them and leave them at your feet.
    Shower yourself clean & make sure you stomp your clothes around to get the suds out of them.
    Then rinse them thoroughly under the bath faucet.
    Done.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

This. What is wrong with hand washing? Do they stink? If not, wear em.

ETA - Washing machines are not magic. Sometimes you can do a more thorough job of washing something by hand. Is it gross to hand wash dishes if you don't have a dish washer?
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You're cleaner than I am.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Didn't read comments...
    Practical. Who gives a crap if you stink WORKING OUT?