Is this Weird?

Options
Ok so I run for over a mile every time I go running (trying to lose weight and train for a 10k) whether it be on a track or on the road, I will then proceed to jump in my pool and do a light jog in water for a period of time as a cool down. Is this weird? I do this because the water is cool and loosens my muscles and basically cools down my body and also when I played football and baseball after practices or games I would take a ice bath to relax and flex my muscles. Give me some input :)

Replies

• wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I do not think you are weird.

I think you are lucky to have a pool!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that your body has had time to cool down on its own before you jump into the pool. If you are really hot and jump into the pool it can cause your heart to stop. Every once in a while you hear of people who are in a sauna and than go into a pool before cooling down and their heart stops.
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i think your body is trying to tell you triathlon is ur thing and as above i so want a pool
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    No you are not weird! After exercise my husband and I dive into the pool too! It feels great and it is soo good on those muscles!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that your body has had time to cool down on its own before you jump into the pool. If you are really hot and jump into the pool it can cause your heart to stop. Every once in a while you hear of people who are in a sauna and than go into a pool before cooling down and their heart stops.

hahah thanks for the comment however I live in Pa so it does not get that hot and if I got that hot I would pass out
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I would do that if I had a pool.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think its a great way to cool down. I just heard of someone today doing that at the gym I use, for their pool.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hey we can have a pool party all is welcomed to join!!! haha
  • Klizbeth81
    Options
    Not weird. When i ran cross country in high school, during summer training, our coach would have us do "pool runs" just about everyday as a warm-up, cool-down, or even as a part of our workout if when we did so for 30+ minutes. If you can stay in running form, its a good way to get your muscles working (or slowing them down, like you do), still maintain a decent heart rate, and its no impact. And it definitely feels great after a hot run outside. Keep it up
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is weird at all.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The best way to get rid of lactic acid which causes the soreness in muscles is to jumped into cold water. This forces it out of the muscles so that the body can eliminate it from your system. Go you for being so good to your body and doing the right thing instinctively.:drinker: