Keurig Owners - Question

Options
I have a Keurig, and after I brew one cup of coffee, it starts to blink (like it needs more water, but there is plenty in there) and it reads "PRIME" Anyone know what is going on with it? It happens AFTER I make one cup, and wont allow me to make a second. Really frustrating!!!

TIA

Replies

• BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing. I have no idea, but it's really annoying.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't know. I can commiserate, though. Mine is always doing stupid stuff. Is there buildup in the resevoir? Maybe it needs descaled.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't know the answer to your question but I'm dying to buy one of those things! I just haven't gotten around to it. But I want one!!
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i've had my keurig machine for about 3 years now, I haven't had any issues like that before. But maybe its more of an issue with the specific model you have? I'd try to look online for the manuel for your machine, or see if Keurig has a way to email for some help/answers through their website? Best of luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have not seen that on my Kuerig yet, it may be time to De Scale your machine
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I can commiserate, though. Mine is always doing stupid stuff. Is their buildup in the resevoir? Maybe it needs descaled.

My first thought was to be descaled... I love mine and have never had a problem with it,, ever! Had it 2 years now! Maybe call customer service, I doubt your alone!
  • klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say call the 1-800 number for Keriug. They were really great with helping me. (the cups kept overflowing when they hadn't in the past, and the coffee grounds would be in the cup. GROSS!) They even will send you new parts at no charge if it is a warranty issue.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My wifes was doint the same thing for a couple of weeks, she started using distilled water and it has not done it since.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I already had to return one machine after less than one year...and I only brew 1.5 cups per day/average.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I had that problem when I added the filter to my water reservoir. It worked fine, and I thought, hey, let's add the filter and the coffee will taste even better! After a cup, it would either only pull 1/2 a cup for the next one, or I get the PRIME message, because the pump isn't drawing in enough water.

I removed the filter and it has worked just fine.

So, do you have the removable filter installed? (Small white, shaped like a oblong thimble?) If yes, try making coffee w/o it. If not, then ensure everything is clean from the tank to the machine, as it sounds like the pump is struggling to pull water into the machine.
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    I think I have the original Keurig so mine doesn't have a screen where you can read anything so I'm not sure. I've never had this problem. But it might be something you could search for on google with the specific model.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I too have had mine about 3 yrs so this is not a feature on mine personally, but being familiar with how they work, it sounds like it's pulling the water from the reservoir into the machine itself to prepare for the next cup. Mine does this after I've just brewed a cup and it too will not allow me to brew a second for probably a full minute or so. The word "Prime" would be exactly whats happening.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I run vinegar water through mine every 6 months or so, that helps.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
  • caroleileen
    Options
    I am a Keurig expert! You most likely need to descale your machine. They make a cleaner you can run through the machine to take care of this. Also don't take the whole resrevoir off to fill it, just fill it from the top with a pitcher of water. It says PRIME because the water reservoir isn't seated in the slot properly and it isn't able to pull the water in to the machine. If the water reservoir is seated properly and it still says PRIME then turn of and unplug your machine for a minute then plug back in and turn on and it should reset itself. Good Luck!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It needs to be cleaned! Ours does that too, the vinegar helps.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Keurig's Customer Service is awesome. When I last had a problem with my machine, the rep walked me through a couple of troubleshooting items, and when that didn't work, she ordered me a new one. That was especially cool, as you get the sample pack that comes with a new machine, as well as the 'buy 2 boxes get 2 free' deal. Last I checked, that deal was good @ 3 per household.

Hopefully your problem will be solveable so you won't be without coffee for long, though!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My occasionally just stalls -- doesn't need cleaning, full water -- it just stalls. I just unplug it and restart it, then it's usually fine.
  • Kavikk
    Kavikk Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi I have had a Keurig for years now and love it. I think yours is defective and you should take it back. Mine only blinks when it is ready for you to press the size button that you want to make.
    Dianne