I keep eating too much protein, is this bad?

lornasyson
lornasyson Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi All,
I'm new to my fitness pal and have been using it for about a week or so to loose weight.
I weighed myself this week and have not lost any weight!
looking at my food i have over eaten on protein everyday which i didnt really bother about but could this make a big difference?

Replies

• I wish I knew the answer to this myself. I always have several hundred calories left at the end of the day, and I'm frequently over in protein. A friend of mine who had weight loss surgery had told me her surgeon said 60 grams of protein a day is something good to aim for (for most people). I don't know how much they give you, but they give me 50 grams, and I'm usually over 4 or something so I'm not too worried.
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Unless you are going way over your protien, don't worry too much about it.
  • Hi!

Too much of anything can be a bad thing but I'm sure I'd be preaching to the choir on that note. It is very unlikely that protein is the problem. More protein than necessary usually will make you need a haircut faster or you'll need to trim your nails. The biggest things to watch are the carbs and fats. For my diet plan I have usually finished the day under "budget" for all the areas leading to 3 pounds lost in three days. Your metabolism also has a lot to do with it. If you traditionally have a slower metabolism, you body will take longer to process what you take in. So, by no means starve yourself, but leave a sizeable amount of time between meals and/or snacks. That way you have a greater certainty that your body has processed your last food intake. I know this goes with out saying but stay active. Even if you can't workout, walk around at a leisurly pace, climb stairs at a faster rate. Its all about the small stuff that will, in time, add up to big results!!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    The protein is set really low on here. I went into the home, goals, custom setting to up my protein to 40% of my calories. Having high protein is okay as long as you are eating healthy carbs and you don't have any kidney issues. You might want to research protein recommendations. The Zone Diet plan is 40% protein and 30% of each carb and fat.
This discussion has been closed.