Dining out strategy

Options
My mom is coming to visit for the weekend and we've already planned to eat at 4 different places. I'm new to MFP and not really experienced with the intake of food. I usually make my own food so I can control the caloric intake. What are some strategies for healthier eating in restaurants?

Replies

• volp10
    volp10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can still enjoy eating out, but it might take a little planning. My family eats out often and I just look up the calories of things I might want wherever we are going ahead of time and go in with an idea of some things I plan to choose. It actually makes me look forward to going even more! I either look in the database on MFP or at the restaurant's official website--many of those contain nutrition info on their menu items. Some chain restaurants now have sections in their menus designated for healthier items and they give the calorie info right there. If I can't rely on any of this (no info available or no time to check), I just go for grilled steak, chicken, or fish without extra sauces added and some grilled vegetables or similar. I figure that's likely to keep me under 600 for the meal!
  • GetSomeSpinach
    Options
    Great Idea, Thanks!