Maybe this is a stupid question-

But I am really trying to figure this weight loss thing out. (Bought and received my HRM ) and trying to figure out how I determine what my MAX Heart Rate should be... :embarassed:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    But I am really trying to figure this weight loss thing out. (Bought and received my HRM ) and trying to figure out how I determine what my MAX Heart Rate should be... :embarassed:
    Basic: 220- age

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Oh man- that simple? Good deal...
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Basic: 220- age

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

so me being 26, my max hr should be 194?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083/

This site might be helpful too... gives you a nice range to look at. Although the annoying beeping noise you get when you first log onto the site is a bit distressing.
  • CleanEatingLlama
    CleanEatingLlama Posts: 10 Member
    the most basic is 220 - your age

I don't like going up that high though because it's scary (for me, I'm 29, so it would be 191, and I feel like I'm going to pass out when my heart beat even approaches that fast). I like to be around 150-160 for a good workout during higher intensity intervals.

I'm surprised that your HRM didn't calculate that for you though! Mine did, and it's not even a fancy one.
  • ilovemybuggy
    the most basic is 220 - your age

I don't like going up that high though because it's scary (for me, I'm 29, so it would be 191, and I feel like I'm going to pass out when my heart beat even approaches that fast). I like to be around 150-160 for a good workout during higher intensity intervals.

I'm surprised that your HRM didn't calculate that for you though! Mine did, and it's not even a fancy one.

Oh I don't know if it does or not...I put in all my info... but if I do the basic formula (according to the first poster) it should be 198 (would actually be 226-28) b/c i'm a female.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member

I would think your HRM would tell you. I have the Polar FT4 and after I put all my information into it, it tells me what my range is during my workout. Have you used it during a work out yet?

I'm 32 5'2" and overweight and my range is 122-168 and it beeps to let me know when I'm over! (Which by the way is awesome, because then I slow my pace and get it back in check and find out I enjoy my run more. Best investment ever!)
  • ilovemybuggy
    I have the polar ft7 ... It may have and I don't realize it...LOL How do I reset?? I just got it today.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    It gives you your target HR, Bryn! While it's calculating during a workout, you can push the right bottom or right top button (it's that way with the FT4, but I'm not sure on the FT7) and it'll review your target zone, cals burned, etc!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    All the calculated HR max values are just estimates. Every single one of them estimates my true max low. I'm 37 years old and my highest recorded HR this year (at the end of a 10k race) was 193 bpm. So if I were doing HR training by estimates I'd be working too easy.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Max HR varies a lot from person to person. The formulas are only a very basic starting point. You may vary 10 or more beats from what is predicted for your age (my actual max is probably 13-14 beats more than predicted). You might want to use the predicted max as a starting point then observe your actual level of perceived exertion at various HRs. If you are a runner you can try to find your max by running a series of hill repeats and taking the final max. I'm sure there are ways to do this for other activities. A lot of it will be trial and error--and as fitness increases your ability to work close to your max will also increase.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Ohhhh , lol I should probably have waited until I actually worked out with it before asking questions. LOL Thanks everyone! & thank you, amy! :)
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Maybe I can get an answer within an answer here...

My HR stays "in range" a few minutes after I am doing exercising. Should I leave the HRM on during this period and calculate those as "calories burned" or should I stop my HRM right after I am done and just not count them. :/
  • ilovemybuggy
    Maybe I can get an answer within an answer here...

My HR stays "in range" a few minutes after I am doing exercising. Should I leave the HRM on during this period and calculate those as "calories burned" or should I stop my HRM right after I am done and just not count them. :/

Good question!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    my max HR, according to the formula is 183. In reality though, I've gotten up to 202 before. So, those estimates are VERY loose estimates.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    If you're over 40, the old basic formula will probably underestimate your maximum. Interesting article discussing the old formula here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/24TRAI.html?pagewanted=1&ei=500 3&en=24d82c2aefbb72ce&ex=990763200

Like everything in fitness/diet, there seems to be lots of different opinions. Here's a calculator that shows a couple formulas side by side.

http://www.racedaynutrition.com/HeartRate.aspx
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Ohhhh , lol I should probably have waited until I actually worked out with it before asking questions. LOL Thanks everyone! & thank you, amy! :)

That's why I'm here, my little bucket of frosting ;)
  • ilovemybuggy

That's why I'm here, my little bucket of frosting ;)

you are my sunshineeeeee my only sunshineeeeeeee, you make my happpppy when skies are greyyyy...

well, you're one of my two sunshines. <3 LOL