THE WEIGHT WILL NOT SHIFT!!!!!

Options
Hi I am quite new to MFP but have been dieting for a whole year now. In the first 6 months I lost 3 stone but for the last 6 months nothing, zip, diddly, not a pound!!! I am type 2 diabetic and on metformin 500mg x2 a day. I go the gym x4-5 times a week for aerobics, zumba and general gym and still nothing. Has anybody got any advice as I desperatley need to lose another 3 stone!!! Please if there is anyone out there............................................................................:sad:

Replies

• Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Give all of your stats (height, weight) and open your diary, that will help the experts around here help you.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I was just currently on a 5 week plateau and I am just 2 months into my weight loss journey. My only advice is to just keep going. Dont give up and dont be too dissapointed in yourself when the numbers on the scale are not changing. Because your body, your energy, and your health ARE.

In those 5 weeks I lost 2 inches in my stomach and my face is a lot thinner already, so I am happy.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating ?? And what are you eating ?? THIS data very crucial ......
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Are you solely relying on the Scale as your measurement of success? If so stop it! The Scale is scared that once you achieve your goals you won't need it anymore so it lies to you!

Mr Tape Measure is your new BFF! Measure you Chest, Waist (at the belly button, no cheating now!!), Hips, Thighs, Calves and Biceps.

These should be the true indicators of success. Invite Mr Scale out every now and then to catch up and say hello.

Also, make sure that you are providing enough fuel for your body. I have no idea what your calorie consumption is like, but you should try and eat at least = to your BMR.
  • krs17
    krs17 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!
    Whenever I get "stuck" I switch my breakfast for dinner.
    Let's say you planned to make pasta for dinner today. Instead of eating the pasta have a bowl of cereal with fruit or oatmeal and then in the morning eat the pasta. The times I have done this healthy swith I have been able to loose up to 3 pounds in a week.
    Good Luck :)
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Hi, I don't know what you eat but if you're diabetic you may find it helpful to count your carbs rather than calories? In April I was diagnosed pre-diabetic (insulin resistant) and started limiting my carb intake. Since 12 April I've lost 40lbs and my cravings have gone as has my insulin resistance.

When researching how best to help myself I discovered that diabetics used to be prescribed a low-carb diet - now they're not and medicated instead... go figure!

I'm NOT giving you medical advice just illustrating what could be a kick start to your body to start letting go of fat again. Good luck:)
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    WOW, thanks everyone. In relation to what I eat I have either porridge made with water/cereal with skimmed milk or a plain omlette for breakfast, lunch is chicken salad, no dressing or one slice of rye bread with a slice of ham and watercress and a piece of fruit and eveing meals are usually slad with some sort of meat or frittata. I consume according to MFP around 1300/1500 a day, I dont drink pop or alcohol and as said previous am always at the gym doing something. I try to limit my carbs but maybe need to limit them even more. I have lost about an inch of fat but I need the 3 stone as I know I need it to be in teh 'healthy range'. Any other ideas are more than welcome and thanks to everyone who has responded, it really is appreciated:smile:
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    WOW, thanks everyone. In relation to what I eat I have either porridge made with water/cereal with skimmed milk or a plain omlette for breakfast, lunch is chicken salad, no dressing or one slice of rye bread with a slice of ham and watercress and a piece of fruit and eveing meals are usually slad with some sort of meat or frittata. I consume according to MFP around 1300/1500 a day, I dont drink pop or alcohol and as said previous am always at the gym doing something. I try to limit my carbs but maybe need to limit them even more. I have lost about an inch of fat but I need the 3 stone as I know I need it to be in teh 'healthy range'. Any other ideas are more than welcome and thanks to everyone who has responded, it really is appreciated
    ]
    Hi I am quite new to MFP but have been dieting for a whole year now. In the first 6 months I lost 3 stone but for the last 6 months nothing, zip, diddly, not a pound!!! I am type 2 diabetic and on metformin 500mg x2 a day. I go the gym x4-5 times a week for aerobics, zumba and general gym and still nothing. Has anybody got any advice as I desperatley need to lose another 3 stone!!! Please if there is anyone out there............................................................................:sad:
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    WOW, thanks everyone. In relation to what I eat I have either porridge made with water/cereal with skimmed milk or a plain omlette for breakfast, lunch is chicken salad, no dressing or one slice of rye bread with a slice of ham and watercress and a piece of fruit and eveing meals are usually slad with some sort of meat or frittata. I consume according to MFP around 1300/1500 a day, I dont drink pop or alcohol and as said previous am always at the gym doing something. I try to limit my carbs but maybe need to limit them even more. I have lost about an inch of fat but I need the 3 stone as I know I need it to be in teh 'healthy range'. Any other ideas are more than welcome and thanks to everyone who has responded, it really is appreciated
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have lost about an inch of fat but I need the 3 stone as I know I need it to be in teh 'healthy range'.

If you are referring to the healthy range as defined by the BMI number, forget the BMI number. It's fine as a reference point but not something to live by.

http://www.freefitguy.com/2011/04/18/measuring-health-why-you-should-throw-out-your-scale-and-ignore-bmi/

There are loads of similar articles out there.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Two bits of advice:

1. Cut calories
    2. Eat low carb

Works 99.98% of the time. Seriously.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    Are you solely relying on the Scale as your measurement of success? If so stop it! The Scale is scared that once you achieve your goals you won't need it anymore so it lies to you!

Mr Tape Measure is your new BFF! Measure you Chest, Waist (at the belly button, no cheating now!!), Hips, Thighs, Calves and Biceps.

These should be the true indicators of success. Invite Mr Scale out every now and then to catch up and say hello.

Also, make sure that you are providing enough fuel for your body. I have no idea what your calorie consumption is like, but you should try and eat at least = to your BMR.
    Best. Response. EVER.
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    Thanks, according to MFP my BMR is 1850 a day just to stay alive!! But then when I said I was looking at 1.5lbs lose a week it told me 1560, then because I excerise most days I gain calories at around an extra 500/700 depending on what I have done, so really I am a bit confused.com!!! How much should I be eating calorie wise? I will invest in a tape mesure, but my doctor is the one who is saying that irespective of inch lose I need at least a further 3 stone.................................:ohwell: I put in a million percent effort onb diet and excerise and am getting very little out x
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    I have lost about an inch of fat but I need the 3 stone as I know I need it to be in teh 'healthy range'.

If you are referring to the healthy range as defined by the BMI number, forget the BMI number. It's fine as a reference point but not something to live by.

http://www.freefitguy.com/2011/04/18/measuring-health-why-you-should-throw-out-your-scale-and-ignore-bmi/

There are loads of similar articles out there.
    [/quote]
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh? What's your height and gender?

Opening your dirt would help.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know what you eat but if you're diabetic you may find it helpful to count your carbs rather than calories? In April I was diagnosed pre-diabetic (insulin resistant) and started limiting my carb intake. Since 12 April I've lost 40lbs and my cravings have gone as has my insulin resistance.

When researching how best to help myself I discovered that diabetics used to be prescribed a low-carb diet - now they're not and medicated instead... go figure!

I'm NOT giving you medical advice just illustrating what could be a kick start to your body to start letting go of fat again. Good luck:)

Yes, this is true!!!

I was full blown Diabetic, on shots. Now in insulin resistant range and no medications with controlled carb eating plan.
  • tubbyturner55
    Options
    I am femal 5ft 10 and 16 stone 13lbs