losing weight and training for Spartan race

Options
wocko6092
wocko6092 Posts: 69 Member
I'm trying to lose weight and while at the same time train for this Spartan race. I'm here trying to meet new friends who can help encourage me after a hard day. i have made some progress with my weight loss. but i keep falling off the wagon. if any one feels they can help me or just need to chat or need encouragement them selves feel free to add me.

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a warrior dash and a tough mudder this year:) Add if you like
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My new addiction is obstacle runs. You can do it, just keep your eyes on the prize!
  • wocko6092
    Options
    My new addiction is obstacle runs. You can do it, just keep your eyes on the prize!

How many have you done and how are they seeing i never done one before
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just did Warrior Dash in April, Mud N Guts is scheduled for October then Spartan in Feb 2013, good luck. I had so much fun at Warrior Dash, thinking of doing Tuff Mudder too
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    Tough Mudder and Spartan Race for me! I'm lifting and running since I'm lacking upper body strength and endurance! I have a few friends who've done them and they love it! I can't wait til Feb. 2013 :happy:
  • kdhill27
    kdhill27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did the Mud Mania in March, will be doing the Magic City Mudder next weekend, Barbarian Challenge in June, and the Warrior Dash in October. I am focusing on upper body strength this time. I wasn't quit prepared for my first race, but I know what to focus on now. Our motto for the 1st one was just to attempt every obstacle and finish the race. If I can complete this, anyone can!!!
  • wocko6092
    Options
    Well thank you all for the great advice and the encouraging comments
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing a Spartan in June, a Warrior Dash in July, a Run For Your Lives (zombie run) in Aug, and another Warrior in Sept. I'm gonna be muddy ALL summer long! LOL I'm currently doing a running/Insanity hybrid hoping to improve my running stamina as well as my strength/agility. Good luck in your training!
  • hostrander37
    hostrander37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just did Tough Mudder a few weeks ago. The cold weather killed us (PA in April), so I did not do as well as I wanted to. Spartan NY is a few weeks away and I hope to do much better. August is Warior Dash and MudmanX. I'll be also training for a 1st TRI and a FULL marathon durring that time so I should really kick some *kitten*.

Training- Upper Body and legs. Need to be able to pull myself up over the walls and ropes without help. Running and stama is not an issue but I will be one strong beast by the end of the summer! Good luck.
  • Rowberta
    Rowberta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i was able to do to the warrior dash.. my spouse and i are doing one in september called mud run and he is training for tough mudder... that motivates me to keep pushing myself also.. he is also doing one in october called gladiator run.. i guess that is similar to spartan... keep up the training... if you fall off the wagon one day... just get back on!!! you'll do great!! feel free to add me
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just ran the Texas Spartan on Saturday. It was tough but not impossible to complete. For anyone thinking of running it, start working on upper body strength now and practice your burpees. I also recommend you get a group/team to run with because it is great to have the camaraderie and help on some of the obstacles.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Doing my first Spartan Sprint in 9 days - been working on my upper body, and training 5k in sprints (since my trainer - who has done the Spartan Race, said the obstacles often bottle neck, that I should work on sprints instead of endurance in terms of running). I also do daily jump rope and practice 4 point burpees as much as possible (try for min. 60 a day - and try to sneak in some pushup burpees) since the penalty for failing an obstacle is 30 burpees... hoping I won't fail often, but where the heck can I practice the javelin throw!

Good luck with your training!!
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options

Same here

And OP, don't stress the obstacle course. I've done a few and they're a lot of fun. Just push yourself and give it your all. You'll be surprised by what you can accomplish by just keeping your eye on making it to the finish line and not by worrying about every single obstacle. I just did a 100 obstacle course and it was one of the most fun times I've had in a long time. Good luck with the Spartan :smile: I have a Spartan in December and can't wait

also, as a few others have mentioned, work on upper body. There's a lot of upper body in obstacle courses. It will deff behoove you to push yourself here if you aren't already
  • wocko6092
    Options
    I did it i ran my spartan race which was 3 miles and 25 obsticles. i got very muddy and lots of cuts and bruses but i loved every minute of it. i did it in 1hour 5 min. so ttraget to beat for next time.