Switching it up

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for when you plateau.... I'm stuck at 210 having lost 25 pounds and it's been 3 weeks. I am hungrier than ever before and not sure what is going on. I'm mentally in the game, but just so hungry all the time. I have tried to listen to my body and if it's hungry, then eat but make good choices. That has worked so far, but my hunger is growing!!!

A friend suggested taking a break from working out for 5 days or so and then resume, but do a circuit. She said it was important to "keep your body guessing" and not get into a routine.

Any thoughts/experience on this? :smile:

Replies

• frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for when you plateau.... I'm stuck at 210 having lost 25 pounds and it's been 3 weeks. I am hungrier than ever before and not sure what is going on. I'm mentally in the game, but just so hungry all the time. I have tried to listen to my body and if it's hungry, then eat but make good choices. That has worked so far, but my hunger is growing!!!

A friend suggested taking a break from working out for 5 days or so and then resume, but do a circuit. She said it was important to "keep your body guessing" and not get into a routine.

Any thoughts/experience on this? :smile:
  • kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I (just finally today) broke a 5 week plateau!!! Finally. You know you are doing the right thing by "sticking" to your program......but it can be so hard when you don't see the scale move.

Anyway, I increased my walking by 10 minutes a day last week, cut down on my carb intake and upped my protein. I lost 5 pounds as of this am.

I went back through my reports to see how or what I was eating differently a few months ago when I was on a "losing" streak. I foung that my carb intake was higher now. Even though the carbs are healthy carbs.....sweet potatoes, multi-grains, brown rice and fruits/vegies. I decided to cut out everything but the fruits and veggies for about a week. I am going to give it a full week before gradually adding them back into my daily intake.

At least for me, it got my metabolism going again. I have now lost 47 pounds since mid January and I have this website and all of you to thank!! It has been a true blessing.:bigsmile:

Way to go on what you have accomplished...hang in there. It works!!!!!!!!!!
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    After I read your post I went back through my logs and sure enough, my carbs have been slowly creeping up, even though i've been staying in my range for calories... I'm definitely going to try cutting out breads/pasta and rice for a bit. and see what happens.

47 lbs is amazing! :drinker: way to go!

I"m still not sure what to do about my workout... to be honest, I'm just too lazy to start a new routine all over again. <sigh> I did 60 minutes of cario on the elliptical machine and 20 minutes on weights. I'm having physio for misaligned knees right now and can't do any knee exercises until after my next appointment.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    If you don't want to switch your workout try increasing your intensity on the elliptical, or short bursts of speed. You can also add a little more weight if you don't mind more muscle bulk, or more reps for strength without bulk.
    Good luck w/ that plateau.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You should definitely keep your body guessing by changing your routine or intensity, but I wouldn't stop working out for 5 days, unless you want to eat much less. You may want to stop for 1 or 2 to let your body recover if you have been continuously working out, but not any more than that.

There are times when I would plateau for a month or so before my body would respond again, just hang in there.
    *Watch your calories, make sure it's not too high or too low.
    *Continue to burn it by working out, but be sure to change your routine every few weeks.
    *Don't let the plateaus discourage you, just change things up a little and you'll work through them.

Good luck :wink: