Cardio on lifting days

Options
I am fairly new to MFP, very new to lifting and not so new to cardio. My question is about doing cardio on days I lift. I found a video on youtube for a 5 minutes HIIT routine and I am wondering if I do it 2-3 times on a day I lift, will it be enough?

Here is how the routine is laid out -

Workout Structure
2 Bodyweight Exercises – No equipment needed

20 Seconds On: Burpee Jacks
10 Seconds Off
X2

20 Seconds On: Squat Jumps
10 Seconds Off
X2

1 Minute Active Rest – Grab a drink of water, pace, jog in place, do high knees; whatever you do, just don’t sit down and rest completely.

Round 2 (Same as above)

20 Seconds On: Burpee Jacks
10 Seconds Off
X2

20 Seconds On: Squat Jumps
10 Seconds Off
X2

Replies

• Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If bumping my own post is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just don't do cardio right before you lift; if you're going to do both, lift first.
  • Onederchic
    Options
    Just don't do cardio right before you lift; if you're going to do both, lift first.

Thank you very much :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio on separate days.. mainly because I lift to failure and once I finish lifting, I'm high tailing it out of the gym!

Most of what is listed in that routine could be considered bodyweight strength training anyway instead of cardio.. so I would find a different type of cardio to do.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

I was told the opposite by my trainer. I was told if i was going to do heavy cardio do it first, then lift
  • dlwyatt82
    Options

I was told the opposite by my trainer. I was told if i was going to do heavy cardio do it first, then lift

Your trainer is wrong.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Same here, trainer recommends cardio first then lift. I split it up 3 days cardio, 3 days weightlifting.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

Same here, trainer recommends cardio first then lift. I split it up 3 days cardio, 3 days weightlifting.

that makes two trainers wrong then :ohwell:
  • urbancyclist
    Options
    Agreed, your trainer is wrong.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cardio or lift is a personal choice, there is no right or wrong.

I do cardio first because I won't do it after I am done lifting, usually too tired!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I guess it depends on what kind of cardio you are doing. If you are doing hard core HIITs and stuff, I would do them after so I can get the most out of my lifting. If you are taking a stroll on the treadmill though, I don't think it would matter.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    If you're lifting heavy enough weight that it's a challenge to complete your sets (which you should be doing or working toward; otherwise, what's the point?), then doing a lot of cardio first is dangerous. You'll be tired before you even start, which can lead to bad form and injuries.

It's better to be 100% rested when you do the heavy lifting, and save the cardio for afterward. You're a lot less likely to kill yourself on a treadmill than on the bench. :tongue:
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It works for me, maybe not for everyone else. I guess it all depends if you are trying to gain or lose weight. Im trying to gain weight so thats why I split it up.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Think i'll stick with my trainer he was a military FI for 15 years and has been a personal trainer for quite a few years after that. Just my own personal choice :ohwell:
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wasn't seeing results just doing cardio so I started lifting last week. I see a personal trainer on Fridays to help guide the way and this is his professional advice. Cardio for 5 minutes (I run just to get my heart rate up) lift for 30-45, then do medium intensity cardio after. I do about 45-60 minutes of 4mph at 6.5-10% incline. But I am doing a lot of leg stuff so around 45 minutes I am about ready to just fall of the treadmill and sleep. Good luck!
  • Onederchic
    Options
    I am attempting to lose weight. I am gearing toward lifting heavy and I really was only wondering how much cardio I needed to do on days I lift (3 days a week). I do 1-1.5 hours of cardio 2 days a week when I am not lifting.
  • babyblue1333
    babyblue1333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's more like a boot camp kind of workout. I do lifting and cardio together. My trainer gives me a program once a week to do on my own. She has a degree in kinesiology (spelled wrong lol) and she knows her stuff. I also do boot camps with her twice a week.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You should typically split up your days. Do Cardio until it hurts one day...then do lifting the next day until it hurts split upper and lower body to different days for adequate rest.

As far as before or after, I'm not sure if you mean doing like an hour of cardio and then lifting? That is incorrect, your body will be too tired to lift..regardless of injury, you wont challenge your body hard enough and the lifting will be pointless.

Unless you mean a warmup on a cardio machine...that is different. I always recommend doing 10 minutes of cardio on lift days to get blood flowing and get muscles warmed up, but dont do an hour of cardio and then lift.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

that makes two trainers wrong then :ohwell:

Depends on your goals- whatever you do first is priority. If you have endurance or speed training goals, it makes sense to do cardio first. If weight loss or strength are your goals (which most of the MFP population does have) then strength training should be done first- that way you can utilize the hormonal changes from the lifting to accelerate fat burning during cardio, AND you have your full strength to get the most out of lifting.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Cardio first = muscles properly warmed up and lower chance of pulling something. Probably decent advice for beginners who don't intend to lift "heavy" (very few reps to failure) and want to avoid injury.

Lifting first (after a SHORT but sufficient warm-up) = more energy left in the muscles and you can lift more weight at higher reps before failure. This means your weight lifting is MUCH more effective. Then you can use steady-state cardio to burn off calories if you wish.

Personally, everything I've read and heard states that, for RESULTS, lifting first (again, preceded by enough cardio to warm the muscles up properly to avoid injury - just a few minutes is fine).

No matter what, lifting anything at any level that actually challenges you beats just sticking with pure cardio. Before, after, in the middle, whatever. Just grab something heavy and (using proper form and safety precautions) lift it 'till ya can't lift it no more).