from cutting to building muscle... suggestions? pointers?

Options
This wk marks 8 of 12, next wk starts my last 4 wks of cutting... i really need to focus on my wkends, or rather stay busier during my wkends so i can not munch. i don't tend to over eat, but i tend to crave a lot more carbs durning the wkend than the wk - but if i'm busy i don't think that will be the case...

anyone got any tips for my next stage (building muscle) - is it called "bulking? do i do it for 12 wks too? I was planning on just restarting my 12 wk weight program @ higher weights & upping my calories...

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • ultraplop
    Options
    Generally to gain muscle you will want to eat maintenance plus 100 - 300 calories so that your body has enough energy to grow your muscles.

Although I would recommend ramping up slowly. Increase calories slowly until you are at maintenance, then slowly increase them a bit more to begin bulking.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Chances are you want to put on 100% lean muscle which is nearly impossible. However to keep a lot of the fat off while you are bulking I would try calorie cycling. Basically you eat a little less than maintenance on you off days at the gym and then eat about 200-350 over your maintenance on lifting days. This should keep you lean as you are bulking.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This wk marks 8 of 12, next wk starts my last 4 wks of cutting... i really need to focus on my wkends, or rather stay busier during my wkends so i can not munch. i don't tend to over eat, but i tend to crave a lot more carbs durning the wkend than the wk - but if i'm busy i don't think that will be the case...

anyone got any tips for my next stage (building muscle) - is it called "bulking? do i do it for 12 wks too? I was planning on just restarting my 12 wk weight program @ higher weights & upping my calories...

I would do it as long as your comfortable with the extra weight you gain, but 12 weeks is a good minimum. Eat in a surplus of 10-20% and lift heavy things, prob in rep ranges of 6-8+
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Chances are you want to put on 100% lean muscle which is nearly impossible. However to keep a lot of the fat off while you are bulking I would try calorie cycling. Basically you eat a little less than maintenance on you off days at the gym and then eat about 200-350 over your maintenance on lifting days. This should keep you lean as you are bulking.

Thanks, i've heard the term before but didn't have an good grasp on exactly what that meant. That makes sense.
  • karrielynn80
    Options

I would do it as long as your comfortable with the extra weight you gain, but 12 weeks is a good minimum. Eat in a surplus of 10-20% and lift heavy things, prob in rep ranges of 6-8+

The program i'm following now has me do 8-12 reps for 4 wks, 6-8 for 4 wks & than 4-6 for the last 4 wks, i'm hoping i'll be able to start @ my max weight from approx the middle of my current 12 wks as my starting point for my bulking 12wks... but we'll see how that goes...