Running fast pace/low cal burn vs slow pace/high cal burn

Options
Hello all,

I am training regularly and I graduated c25k last year. I ran many different distances and now that i got my personal trainer certification i am training others too.

I run 30 to 40 km per week and I noticed that when I do my runs for my training (i already ran many different distances from five km to half marathon) i burn like 1000 to 1100 cal in one hour running.

Now it comes my question. I noticed when I train with beginners that half an hour slow pace (6 to 8km per hour) I burn a lot more!!

Today I burned 1000 cal in half an hour in my friends c25k graduation day.

Would it be possible that slow pace implies longer time the step is in contact with the ground and therefore every step is as if i were doing a "lunge"?

Maybe the slower I run the more my legs work in every stride?

I dont know and Id like to see what do you think about that... please, to avoid long message threads with no outcome I would thank you if you comment and you have a point about that. Nothing like "i have a friend that has a neighbor that had a relative that had the same question"

Thanks!!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories in 30 minutes of running sounds almost impossible to me (way too high).

At 175 lbs, I burn ~ 125 per mile. At a solid clip, I can run 8 miles in an hour (= ~ 1,000 calories).

Bottom line to burn 1,000 or 1,100 in an hour you need to be pretty heavy and pretty fast.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing an HRM or going by the MFP database?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I average 100 calories for 10 minutes. But I usually go the same speed (yes, I know I should mix it up).
    As I understand it, whether you run 5k fast, or slow, in the end you burn about the same amount of calories, since you spend more time doing it when going slow. (no scientific research went into that statement, so I might be wrong).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I always have a lower calorie burn on faster runs. My last tempo run (5 miles at 7-7:15 min pace) netted me 503 calories, while a speed workout (fast 800s with jogs in between) of the same distance only gave me 433. I would burn 20-40 calories in the sprints and twice that in the recovery. For comparison, a 7 mile easy run (8:45 pace) will have me burning nearly 100 cals/mile. I have no idea why this happens, but there you go.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You're a certified personal trainer?!

And you think you can burn 1,000 calories in a half hour?!

:noway:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    At 170 lbs I burn generally between 120 and 130 cal per mile no matter the speed. A few more calories at faster speeds, but not much.

To burn 1000 calories in 30 min you would have to be running 16 mph or a little under 4 minute miles.

Your HRM or other calculation method is off unless you really were running around that fast or weigh more than 350 lbs.
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing an HRM or going by the MFP database?

Im still very heavy 104kg and very fast i guess...haha 11.5 km in one hour average.... and i am wearing hrm and its well calibrated
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I burn about 12-15 calories per minute when running and I run at a pace of 12-13:40. I have noticed I burn more calories at a slower run because I stay within my goal heart rate (for me it is between 127-168bpm and usually it hangs around 155-160bpm) whereas, when I run faster, it hits around 170-175 bpm.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    And for what it's worth, I burned 1630 calories running 20 miles over this weekend (and that includes a 20 minute CD walk).
  • Josedavid
    Options
    I always have a lower calorie burn on faster runs. My last tempo run (5 miles at 7-7:15 min pace) netted me 503 calories, while a speed workout (fast 800s with jogs in between) of the same distance only gave me 433. I would burn 20-40 calories in the sprints and twice that in the recovery. For comparison, a 7 mile easy run (8:45 pace) will have me burning nearly 100 cals/mile. I have no idea why this happens, but there you go.

Thanks for the info!
  • Josedavid
    Options

1- yes i am, no big deal
    2- thats why my hrm told me today, thats why i ask
  • Josedavid
    Options
    I burn about 12-15 calories per minute when running and I run at a pace of 12-13:40. I have noticed I burn more calories at a slower run because I stay within my goal heart rate (for me it is between 127-168bpm and usually it hangs around 155-160bpm) whereas, when I run faster, it hits around 170-175 bpm.

it makes sense to me, thanks!
  • WineVine
    WineVine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just wondering this myself.
    I got a fancy pants HRM last week, and it actually tells me when my heart rate goes up past a certain point (about 130 for me, 5'10" 185lb) I switch from fat burn mode to cardiovascular fitness mode. I just assumes that I go slightly anaerobic at that point and am building more endurance?
    Not an educated guess, but my 2 cents...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you are burning 1000 calories in 30 minutes of running, regardless of what your HRM says... If that's you in your picture :)

What's your resting heart rate and your average heart rate when you run?

Edited to add: Many people will debate this, but at a slower pace, many HRMs are programmed to estimate your calorie burn as higher, because the manufacturers believe that you are burning more calories from fat, rather than dietary fuel, at a lower heart rate. There seems to be evidence of truth in this.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    At your weight you may be burning 200 cal per mile. To burn 1000 in 30 min you would have had to be running around 6 min miles.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1000 calories in 30 minutes is just way to fast and harsh on your body, i burned 100 calories every 5 minutes so in 60 minute i burn around 1000 to 1200 calories
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    1000 calories in 30 minutes is just way to fast and harsh on your body, i burned 100 calories every 5 minutes so in 60 minute i burn around 1000 to 1200 calories

that itself still seems pretty high. how much do you weigh?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

1- yes i am, no big deal
    2- thats why my hrm told me today, thats why i ask

You're not burning 1000 cals in 30 mins..sorry. You need a better HRM or you have an unusually higher HR than most and doesn't translate well to the typical cal burnt algorithms.
  • Josedavid
    Options
    I really don't think you are burning 1000 calories in 30 minutes of running, regardless of what your HRM says... If that's you in your picture :)

What's your resting heart rate and your average heart rate when you run?

Edited to add: Many people will debate this, but at a slower pace, many HRMs are programmed to estimate your calorie burn as higher, because the manufacturers believe that you are burning more calories from fat, rather than dietary fuel, at a lower heart rate. There seems to be evidence of truth in this.
    Well, it makes sense too...
    my resting heart rate now is sixty five and my cruising is one hundred forty or fifty, it depends....
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4, and over a fixed distance, I burn less calories if I run the entire route than mixing it with running and walking - my theory is that when I stop running and walk a bit, my heart rate is still quite elevated (140 - 150) and so the hrm records more of a burn..? I would have to run 6.6 miles at 5-6mph to burn 1000 calories, and do so frequently...