Hummus?

Options
I'd really like to make my own hummus instead of buying it at the store pre-made. Any simple recipes out there?

Replies

• OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like spicy stuff :)

Ingredients
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers 3 tablespoons lemon juice 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    Directions
    In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)
    Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.

Or check out this link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Appetizers-and-Snacks/Dips-and-Spreads/Hummus/Top.aspx

Happy Hummusing :flowerforyou:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    hungry, hungry artichoke hummus(hungry girl cookbook)

1 15oz can chickpeas(garbanzo beans), drained
    1 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained
    1/4 cup fat free vegetable broth
    1/4 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp dried parsely flakes
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp paprika
    Optional garnish: additional parsley flakes and paprika

Place all ingredients except for chickpeas in a blender
    Using a potato masher or a fork , thoroughly mash chickpeas. Transfer to the blender, puree until smooth, stopping and stirring if blending slows.
    For best flavor, refrigerate hummus for several hours. Before serving, garnish with a sprinkle each of paprika and parsely flakes , if you like .

Makes 8 servings
    Per serving (1/4 cup): 56 calories , 0.5g fat, 400mg sodium, 9g carbs, 3g fiber, 1g sugar, 3g protein
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Due to the fact that this is one of those foods that I have to make all the time because MJ is a HUGE fan of Middle Eastern food. I make this as EASY AS POSSIBLE!
    One can Garbonzo beans. Dumb whole thing juice and all into food processor.
    1 table spoon EVOO
    Mix until mush...
    Add a pinch of whatever else you feel like flavoring it with till it tastes the way you want.
    Mix again and serve.
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    When using the chickpeas in the can are you using the liquid or draining out? And if so, do you think rinsing them would help with the sodium or other yuckie things from the can?
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i personally drain and rinse the chickpeas
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i personally drain and rinse the chickpeas

I concur :happy: