How far should a fit girl be able to run on a treadmill?

Options
I want to see how off the mark I am on this one. and what kind of speed should i be looking at for most fat burn? xx

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Speed is entirely relative to your fitness level but for burning calories there isn't a big difference in calorie burn between running fast and running slow.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    Speed is entirely relative to your fitness level but for burning calories there isn't a big difference in calorie burn between running fast and running slow.
    How fast should i be able to run then?
  • leenabeana1
    Options
    I have been running 3-4 days a week for the last 3 1/2 months and at first it was 4mph for 1/2 a mile and I was dead, now I'm running 3 miles non stop at either 5pmh or 5.5, but for some reason I run faster outside than on my treadmill because I can run 3 miles in 28 min, instead of the 36 on my treadmill?
  • leenabeana1
    Options
    But my calorie burn is usually 320-788:)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

As fast as you are able. There is no right answer to the question. It depends upon your individual level of fitness. You want a range? Between 4:00 and 18:00 per mile.

Just get on there and run at a conversational pace. Whatever pace that is, is the pace that you should be able to run.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    it all depends on your endurance, height, weight, and your speed is proportional for how far you will run.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this is completely dependent on the person. I know women in very good shape (they do 6 days a week workouts and do the advanced spin classes that don't break much sweat) that can only average 5.5 mph, but others I know that can do a 5k in under 25 minutes, which is about 7mph average.

So really, it depends on your body. there's no correct speed, there's only current speed vs historical speed. if you're averaging faster today than you were 2 months ago, you're doing ok.
  • kittyd7015
    Options
    it all depends on your endurance, height, weight, and your speed is proportional for how far you will run.
    Im 5"4 so as a target?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Again...it all depends on your fitness level. I've seen larger people complete marathons because they train for runs daily. They sometimes retain their size because of either unhealthy eating or sometimes an underlaying issue.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you want a target 8:00 to 9:00 per mile for several miles would be pretty good. 7:00 to 8:00 miles for several miles would be really good. Under 7:00 per mile for several miles would be better than most.

That is for all out effort pace and is only my opinion. Daily training paces are slower.
  • kittyd7015
    Options
    If you want a target 8:00 to 9:00 per mile for several miles would be pretty good. 7:00 to 8:00 miles for several miles would be really good. Under 7:00 per mile for several miles would be better than most.

That is for all out effort pace and is only my opinion. Daily training paces are slower.

thx
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm a decent runner, I ran 3.21 miles at 11:4X today and I am happy with that especially because I'm high altitude and would be faster at sea level
  • kittyd7015
    Options
    I'm a decent runner, I ran 3.21 miles at 11:4X today and I am happy with that especially because I'm high altitude and would be faster at sea level
    wow i cant get anywhere near that!! xx
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

You realize she meant 11:4X per mile right? A 3.55 second mile (what that would be) is world class for Men's 1 mile (the record for men is 3:43 for 1 mile), never mind 5K. for the record the men's 5K world record is 12:37
  • kittyd7015
    Options

You realize she meant 11:4X per mile right? A 3.55 second mile (what that would be) is world class for Men's 1 mile (the record for men is 3:43 for 1 mile), never mind 5K. for the record the men's 5K world record is 12:37

yeh of course haha
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", consider myself to be in decent shape, and I can run 5kms in a little over 29 minutes (about a 9:00 mile).
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", consider myself to be in decent shape, and I can run 5kms in a little over 29 minutes (about a 9:00 mile).

Haha thats my exact goal!