40 something stay-at-home mom

Options
Hello all. I'm a former WW dieter that lost 40 lbs back in 2003. As most of us here, I regained that weight and then some. I now have 80 lbs to lose. Until a year ago, I worked outside the home in the computer industry and walking downtown was my primary exercise. Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom (kids are 10 and 12), I'm just not busy enough and I find myself eating out of boredom. I no longer have any excuses for why I can't exercise other than it hurts and I don't enjoy it much, but I've decided that my health is too much at risk to use those excuses any more.

My dr. gave me the go at my last physical to proceed with weight loss and exercise. My blood numbers were excellent, especially for someone as overweight as I am. I have back and foot pain that I believe is associated with the amount of abdominal fat that I'm carrying on my 5 ft. 1" frame. Walking, bicycling and low-impact aerobics are my exercises of choice with the occasional weight lifting. I'm currently doing some home renovations, which actually has my upper back muscles working pretty hard as I strip several rooms of wallpaper and repaint. Although it's been painful, it's been a good kind of pain that reminded me what getting in shape felt like.

Feeling motivated to get into shape again, I went out and bought myself some comfy sports bras and broke out my Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Today is the first day of this program and I'm really grateful to have found this free online application since my income is now limited by the fact that I no longer work. My husband would gladly pay for a diet program to help me lose this weight, but it's awesome to have found a site where I can get the same kind of support for free.

My biggest problems with losing weight are:

- I love food. I'm Italian, a great cook, and every celebration in our family has always revolved around food. Did I say I loved food?

- I'm so addicted to sugar. I love sweets, especially baked goods, and I have so little willpower when it comes to doing without. I think I have an addictive personality. I quit smoking 5 years ago, I've always bit my nails (though I've managed to keep them looking decent the last few years), and I love eating. Can you say oral fixation?

- I'm an emotional eater. Nuff said.

- I find it difficult to stay motivated for longer than about a week.

I hope to find some friends here that will help me stay motivated and that I can provide reciprocal support to.

Best to everyone,

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard and i am wishing you much success in your weight loss journey ..know that YOU CAN DO THIS again good luck :bigsmile:
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also have gained back more weight than I have lost in the past. I am now at my alltime heaviest (not counting prenancies) I have five children raning in age from 30 to 6. I started a new job a year and a half ago and it is a desk job that I commute to so twelve hours of each day are spent sitting.
    I also love good fodd and have spent most of my life in the restaurant buusiness. I lvoe to cook and experiment with great foods. Now I am trying to lend my passion towards coming up with delicious low calorie meals.
    I look forward to getting to know you better. Maybe we can help each other in our efforts to be healthier!
    Liana
  • BethTucker
    Options
    I just wanted to add something about what you wrote about being addicted to sugar. It sounds very similar to the way I behave when I eat too many processed foods and white carbohydrates and too little protein and complex carbs. It may SEEM like you are addicted to sugar because when you eat simple carbs your body craves more. We have a wood stove so I think of it like this: The white carbohydrates or highly processed foods are like paper in that they burn up quickly without adding much fuel to the fire but the whole wheat breads, pastas, protein and high fiber choices are like oak, they burn for longer and add much more fuel without you having to add more as quickly as you would if you had the same amount of paper. So you may want to try altering your diet from the simple sugars and adding comparable complex carbs and see how you feel. You may find that you need less food overall throughout the day. Or it could be that you have a metabolic thing going on - like metabolic syndome - in which your doctor can help. Mine helped me with this.

Good luck. Although it is not an easy journey it is well worth it. You CAN DO IT!
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Amy,

I understand and am in the same boat as you. I am a mother of 2, and grandmother of 2. I am almost 41 years old, 5'2" and my goal is to lose 87 lbs., i was on the board previously and fell off the wagon when i started my new job a year and a half ago. I am however back and i will do this, i just started over last monday so tomorrow is my first weigh in. I to love to cook and eat. I actually had to tell everyone at work the other day that i would no longer be bringing them fatty, bad for you food to the monthly potlucks anymore. That did not go over very well, i actually had people tell me that we needed to sit down and talk about this because they didn't like it, LOL! Well i am going to do this and i have to do this for myself! If you need someone to talk to or need someone to bounce thoughts off of, i would be happy to help. Just stick to your guns and it will be fine. There are lots of wonderful people on this board to help you out and keep you motivated. Good luck, and i hope the new year brings you a new lighter you!

kat
  • Realtychic
    Options
    Welcome Aboard Amy!!! I am a newbie to this site also and love the fact that its free too and I can check in anytime! Glad to have you here!!