Any runners out there get plantar fasciitis?

Options
So I've just realized that I have plantar fasciitis on my foot, which is super common for runners. But it's a pain, figuratively and literally, b/c I need to be resting and icing and stretching and all that jazz. Some sites say no running/walking while others like the Mayo Clinic say to limit the distance of longer runs. The thing is that I've worked my butt off for over two months to get to the point that I can run a 5k, and continue to do so. I'm so afraid of stopping and losing my momentum, along with being so limited with the type of exercise I can get in. I'm curious if any other runners have experienced this and what you did while you were "resting" up.

Replies

• MerBear1985
    Options
    I am currently dealing with this and I have run 10km runs and higher. I think the most important thing is to take care of it not necessarily stay completely off it. If you can get some sort of physiotherapy or exercise regime to help with the pain, my doctor told me to make sure I stretch it, ice after runs and tape it before I run. Hope this helps you, I am by no means a doctor...but this is a painful and annoying predicament...
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am currently dealing with this and I have run 10km runs and higher. I think the most important thing is to take care of it not necessarily stay completely off it. If you can get some sort of physiotherapy or exercise regime to help with the pain, my doctor told me to make sure I stretch it, ice after runs and tape it before I run. Hope this helps you, I am by no means a doctor...but this is a painful and annoying predicament...

What do you tape it with? I'm so new to running. Also, thanks for letting me know that I don't necessarily have to stop running. I've been so good the past couple days with treating it, and I'm hoping it can help in the long run.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I've had hip problems running & it's so hard to get to a goal that you don't want to give up!!

I haven't had the plantar fascitis but the running club I'm in recommends something called a dorsal night splint- you may want to check into it!!
  • wa_tracy
    Options
    I totally understand! I've had hip problems running & it's so hard to get to a goal that you don't want to give up!!

I haven't had the plantar fascitis but the running club I'm in recommends something called a dorsal night splint- you may want to check into it!!

Thank you! I will look into getting that splint.
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracy, I have the same problem. Hurts so much after running and I feel it all night like a dull pain. My trainer told me to use Arnica gel and it's helping with the pain. I too do not want to stop, it is the only way I can lose weight, plus it feels good!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had it earlier this year and ran through it although I reduced my weekly distance by about 40% and cut out all speedwork for a month. During that month the runs were unpleasant and kind of painful, but they were doable.

The best things I did to cure it were wearing a night splint and rolling it on a golfball and ice bottles. My PF took about a month before it wasn't painful to run. After about 2 months it was hardly noticeable. Right now after 3 months I would say it is about 99% cured.
  • mhmele
    mhmele Posts: 1
    Options
    To cure the plantar faschitis I (1) stretched calf muscles multiple times a day in a little relaxation routine (2) bought a new insert for my shoes and (3) did regular short runs.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    found the article for the splint- Here ya go!

Night Splints
    Highly recommended by doctors for effective pain relief due to:

· Plantar Fasciitis
    · Heel Pain
    · Heel Spurs
    · Achilles Tendonitis

Treats the pain at night while you sleep. You can also use the splint during the day while watching TV or reading.

How do night splints work?

These easy to use, inexpensive devices are designed to keep tension on the tissue (plantar fascia or tendon) so it heals at night in a stretched position, which reduces the pain. When worn as prescribed, it does not allow the plantar fascia to tighten, as when the foot is in a relaxed position. The device holds the ankle and forefoot joints in a position of slight dorsiflexion that prevents a position of plantarflexion and the plantar fascia and Achilles is not allowed to contract (tighten).

You can get one at:
    Kroger's
    CVS
    Wal-Greens
    www.activeankle.com
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I got my night splint at CVS and I believe it cost about $30. I think it was the single most important thing I did to cure the problem.
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will try this too!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Running will aggregate it worse and prolong the healing process. My husband had it bad and had to take a year off from running (which he was fine with because he hates it and not runs once a year any way lol). Honestly I would go to a podiatrist and ask ado for what they suggest and why. If they say no running the don't do it and find another form of cardio. The last thing you want is to aggregate it to the point of surgery.

I would personally err on the side of caution and rest it.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    I just tape mine with regular medical tape, but thicker stuff. I tape in kind of a stirrup under my arch about two strips wide. You can google taping for plantar faciitis.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    My pain is not when I run....it's when I stop running and when I wake up in the morning...those first few steps. Depending on the severity you don't have to stop running...just go easier than before (this was my advice from a doctor and a physiotherapist) you just have to actually do the exercises, stretch out your calves too.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not this but stress fractures in my shins. Best bet is let it heal completely. I guess depending on how bad it really is, walking might be ok but if that even hurts stay off of it for at least a few days. If you push it you could make it worse and even make it to where you can't run at all.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have had it and ran with it. I had to take lots of rest and stretch and more stretch. Not just the foot but the calf. I would stretch my calves by standing on the stairs with my toes and going up and down as well as regular stretches.

The only other thing is that I got the right shoes. I made a world of difference. I am up to 8 miles on my long runs and it tends to hurt a day or 2 but by the 3rd day, I am good.

It was so bad last year that I gave up running. It wasn't until I learned stretches for plantar (try youtube) as well as calf stretches and buying good shoes. Sucks that I pay $150 a pop for shoes every 3 months, but it is the only thing that works.

Good luck, don't give up. Try everything until it works for you
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I went through that last year
    I taped my foot with cloth medical tape. I googled it and there are videos to show you how. I also did slow stretching a few times a day. I am finally healed but it did take a few months.
  • mumi
    mumi Posts: 24
    Options
    i just found out i have it. i went to a podiatrist and she said i could continue to run but to ice it and do stretches. She also fitted me for orthotics and recommended a good running shoe.
  • wa_tracy
    Options
    Thank you to all for your tips and tricks and giving me hope that I don't have to stop running!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Good arch supports.
  • gymmonkey67
    Options
    Shots Suck and do not last! I spent a few hundred bucks and bought some inserts at a place here in Texas Called Ideal Feet. It took some adjustment at first I thought i just wasted 300 bucks but its been over a year now and the pain level went from like a 10 to sometimes in the morning a 1 or 2.