I don't wanna "Bulk" up!

Options
I've been going to the gym 4 times a week for the last 5 weeks, I'm into my 6th week now. I weighed 2 weeks ago at the gym and I had lost 800g(1.7lb) but my body fat % was a little higher. Yesterday I weighed again and my weight had gone up by 500g:sad: (1.1lb) but my body fat had reduced by 1%. This confused me at first until I realised that the weight gain must be from muscle build up as I had upped some of my weights in the last 2 weeks.

So here's where I need some help... Should I leave my weights as they are now and maybe just up the repetitions to burn more fat and not build up so much muscle?
I don't want to look like a body builder and I want to lose weight!

I have 4 seperate workouts for each day that I go. Two workouts are cardio, one is an upperbody strength workout (as I have a very weak upper body) and one is a bit of a mix of Cardio and Weights.

Any thoughst on this would be much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are not going to look like a body builder just because you do weight training. I've been doing it for months now and the only thing it did to me was make me look more toned and thinner at my current weight than I would if I weren't doing strength training. You're flattering yourself if you think you'd start looking like a body builder doing what you're currently doing.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's extremely difficult for women to "Bulk" up even when they are trying, you guys just don't have the testosterone levels for it. You may experience significant muscle mass gains, but they won't be in the form of "bulk", rather it would be more in the form of density (which would show in strength and endurance gains, but not bulk). Unless you are using a PED of some kind (like HGH or steroids) in which case, all bets are off.

So go heavy all you want, you won't bulk up. In fact, most studies show that heavier lifting 2 to 3 times a week for women drastically improves fat loss while preserving existing lean tissue and improving strength,balance, and agility. Coupled with healthy eating habits and you will be well on your way to looking trim and hot.
  • tazzywinkle87
    tazzywinkle87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not "flattering myself" I just wanted advice because I'm new to this.
  • tazzywinkle87
    tazzywinkle87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    it's extremely difficult for women to "Bulk" up even when they are trying, you guys just don't have the testosterone levels for it. You may experience significant muscle mass gains, but they won't be in the form of "bulk", rather it would be more in the form of density (which would show in strength and endurance gains, but not bulk). Unless you are using a PED of some kind (like HGH or steroids) in which case, all bets are off.

So go heavy all you want, you won't bulk up. In fact, most studies show that heavier lifting 2 to 3 times a week for women drastically improves fat loss while preserving existing lean tissue and improving strength,balance, and agility. Coupled with healthy eating habits and you will be well on your way to looking trim and hot.

Thank you! That makes total sense, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then! :smile:

Ha ha and no I'm not doing Steroids... Not my thing lol :laugh:
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You have had all the right responses to your question!!! Great to read so many people who are clued in to the most recent studies! Lift heavy and fewer reps, not worry of bulking but you will get great results!! Good luck!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    tazzy,

one thing I tell my clients (I'm a PT and a US Olympic Weight Lifting certified coach) is if you are going to lift, lift HEAVY. Forget these "sets of 25" stuff, if you can lift something 25 times, you're fatiguing the muscle, not strengthening it (it's all about exhausting the muscle rather than depleting muscle glycogen). Lift heavy, my advice, go grab the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" it's a good book for beginner/intermediate females who want to do more with strengthening their bodies.
  • naknuy
    naknuy Posts: 7
    Options
    tazzy,

one thing I tell my clients (I'm a PT and a US Olympic Weight Lifting certified coach) is if you are going to lift, lift HEAVY. Forget these "sets of 25" stuff, if you can lift something 25 times, you're fatiguing the muscle, not strengthening it (it's all about exhausting the muscle rather than depleting muscle glycogen). Lift heavy, my advice, go grab the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" it's a good book for beginner/intermediate females who want to do more with strengthening their bodies.

I agree. I've been doing HEAVY lift for 2 months now and i look slimmer eventhough my weight is pretty much the same wheni started.i do 45kls deadlift 8-10 rep 3 sets,30kls power jerk, 35kls power clean and i could see my body changing and i feel stronger and healthier.

Dont worry about the 'bulk' we wont have it.go heavy and your body will thank u
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not there with you but I doubt if you're lifting heavy enough and hard enough to gain so much muscle to be bulky. That shish is hard and you won't bulk up by accident.

If you're not losing weight, check your diet first. Check your diet second. If still no improvement, check your diet again.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    500 grams?

A pint of water weighs more than 500 grams. You need to stop stressing over every tiny( an that is tiny) scale fluctuation.

Keep lifting and increase the weights when you hit the required reps.
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    I WISH it was that easy to build muscle. :laugh:

But, really, like others have said - it's nearly impossible for women to "bulk up" naturally. Keep lifting heavy and your weight fluctuation could quite possibly have been water.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If you want to see what women look like when they lift, check out any Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW...I think I got that right, lol) group on here.

I have been lifting weights for 2 months and I just started week 3 of SL 5x5, check out my profile pic. I have never felt more healthy or strong.

So, you aren't going to bulk up. Women that look like body builders spend most of there time achieving that look. The rest of us just want to strong, healthy, and fit with some nice curves.:flowerforyou:
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy can mean retaining some what to help the muscles heal. Lifting heavy does not make you bulk up, at least not with some obvious effort. I've been lifting for over 7 months now and am no where near bulky.