How to get rid of "Bat Wings"

Options
I'm a 64 year old male, that has recently gone from around 300lbs down to 235, and am totally happy, and proud to have done so. There's more to loose, but I'm working on it. However, there's one thing I cannot seem to find an answer to.

Having lost that much weight, I now have much more skin than I have "me". This is ugly, flaps around, and is simply not wanted. I'm trying working out with some light weights, more sets and repetitions, and it seems to be working somewhat, but I'm concerned that I'm going to be destined to be able to jump off a tall building, spread my arms, and glide to the ground, forever.

Has anyone else conquered this problem? If you have, how did you do it? (no surgery, please)
:bigsmile:

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. Use big weights! Larger weights & lower reps. Fill up all that flappy skin with muscle - It hasn't taken it all away yet, but a huge improvement!
  • sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My mother lost over a hundred pounds several years ago and had this problem. I know you said 'no surgery', but unfortunately that was her solution. I'm not really sure if there is another way to deal with this issue, but I hope there is and I wish you luck.

Also, congratulations on all your hard work!
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I suggest continue with strength training, upping your weights. Use a good Vitamin E body lotion. And wait. Consider how long you were overweight and how little time that you have been at your current weight. Your skin needs more time to adjust to the new you!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but you are a guy and it seems like men are less affected by extra skin there, generally. Some will shrink on its own but ... you might get the best results but just adding some muscle to your arms. (add some muscle everywhere else too please, nothing sillier than a guy that's got big arms and nothing else). This doesn't work as well for women since we can't get big ole muscles as easily as guys.

In the end, it might be surgery or nothing. sorry. It seems to be a problem area for most people.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Exercise could help tone that up somewhat,
    but, if a person does lose tons and tons of weight,
    and tons,
    for some people, the previously stretched skin does benefit from surgery. This surgery *IS* covered by most insurance plans in USA, as is a panniculectomy to remove abdominal skin folds which can even develop rashes, OR even infect in some people.

Insurance covers excess skin removal after dramatic weight loss
    IF one has 'correct' complaint. If a patient says they dislike look of such hanging skin, insurance will not cover it, it will be seen as a "cosmetic" surgery.
    If patient says the skinfolds are irritating, or infect all the time,
    or if patient says the hanging skin makes wearing clothing needed for work (such as, a shirt)
    very difficult and irritating,
    THEN the insurance will cover it.
    Insurance has even covered facelifts, or eyelid lifts, IF one has a medical complaint or has a way to say it impacts their ability to wear facemasks needed to be a pilot, or visual field, etc etc.
    It is all about the presenting complaint.

I have known people who purposefully infected their own skin folds,
    repeatedly,
    (using food, irritating substances, etc to induce a skin fold rash or infection)
    to qualify for an insurance-covered skin fold removal.

but, that said for anyone else reading along,
    i so understand the OP not wanting to undergo surgery. Still, the OP might consider discussing if any laser options are available for his hanging skin.
  • oeagleo
    oeagleo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the folks that have replied, and yes, I am developing some muscle, (I can even see the improvement), and I suppose I will have to see what happens. I am most likely a bit impatient, now that I've seen a certain degree of success of loosing the weight, I want that "svelte" look that everyone else has.. :happy:

Even so, having the "flaps of Rocket J. Squirrel" will not deter me in loosing more weight, when I get to where I want to be, we'll see what happens.

Off I go, to the treadmill!
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    someone told me to take weights. Let me try and explain how she said to use them. stand slightly bent over at the waist. with your arms slightly bent too. (with the weights in hand) extend your arm backwards and hold for a few seconds...and then do the other arm.

I have also seen the ad for that Shake Weight product......they claim if you use their product it eliminates that too.
  • MustangGirl05
    Options
    It takes a while but it will happen, I still have a small portion of mine but am getting there. It's one of those things that when it happens you will just sigh in relief & know that you did it with all of YOUR hard work!! Best of luck to you with your journey 8)
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would work on more strength training and less cardio. You want to lose fat without losing your lean muscle mass. It will be harder to change your body's extra skin because of your age (sorry! Not a dig at your age! :) ) If you lose weight too rapidly, your body will not adjust as well. I'd recommend looking at the EM2WL groups and the lifting groups to help you gain more muscle while still losing fat.

Best of luck!
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    lifting weights helps quite a bit and just time for your body to snap back to your new form. this sadly also depends on genetics and every person is different. some people suffer more from battwings and in result need plastic surgery. then there are others (like myself) that all it take is time, lots of fluids, and lifting weights. my bat wings are basicly gone:) i hope this is the case for you:) good luck

i also suggest heavy weight less reps