GET YOUR HEART PUMPING!!!

Options
imma_rosta
imma_rosta Posts: 30 Member
I don't know what has gotten into me today but I went off on Facebook about how being healthy is important. I am a Surgical Techonologist and I specialize in Cardiothoracics. I see the insides of people EVERYDAY. I know the complications of surgery simply because patients are unhealthy! I see patients come back for MORE open heart surgeries because they went back to smoking after their first bypass surgery. It's INSANE how people don't take care of themselves even when death is staring them in the face. This is what I posted on Facebook:

"Ok e'erbody. Health is important. You don't have a clue how awful your insides look if you do NOT take care of yourself! Being overweight, a heavy smoker, a junk food junkie, or having weak muscles, dramatically changes how an operation can turn out! Sometimes the bad habits don't catch up with your right away but then hit you all at once. You may not care but what about those who care about you? Get your heart pumping, drink some water, portion control! Take baby steps because starting somewhere is better than not starting at all. I started taking care of myself and I used a support system: MYFITNESSPAL.COM
Check it out! The people you meet all have different goals; you're bound to find someone with the same goals as you. It's worth 30 seconds to at least check it out and it's free.
I see the inside every day. People can't help having accidents, appendicitis, cholecystitis, even cancer. But having a healthy body helps pain management, reduces recovery time and reduces complications. If you quit smoking, intubation and extubation is easier (not to mention smoking KILLS grafts or implants). Getting your heart pumping can reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Being a healthy weight now can reduce your chances of having total knee/total hip replacements in the future. I care about my friends and family, and your family cares about you! You get one life; getting started on a healthy lifestyle is hard, I know this, but once you get started and feel the changes it can make, it gets easier! Believe it or not, you don't have to be old AND decrepit!"

I may not have had as much to lose as others on here but let me tell you that the 25lbs that I've lost has made a dramatic difference. My resting heart rate went from 82 to 62. I went from having a hard time power walking a mile (in place) to running 3. I went from a spare tire/muffin top, to almost a flat stomach. I went from drinking everyday to drinking occasionally. I went from 0 ounces of a water a day to about 40 ounces. I went from blotchy and dry skin, to a glowing, smooth complexion. I even went from having broken, jaged, bumpy finger nails to now stronger and smooth nails! I went from fast food AT LEAST 5 times a week to Taco Bell splurges once or twice a month. I'm an average, HEALTHY, adult. I'm not an all star runner or a water guzzler, I'm not a mega weight lifter or an extreme nutritionist. Those goals were unrealistic FOR ME PERSONALLY. I'm NORMAL and HEALTHY. And most importantly, I'm EFFING HAPPY! Now that I'm here, I have different goals for myself that may have seemed extreme in the beginning. A key way to stay on track is to have mini goals. When you reach those goals, make new ones. If you set your goals too high in the beginning, you are more apt to fail because it seems impossible.

I hope this long and drawn out post will reach SOMEBODY who needs to hear it. I love you all and care about your health and success :)

Replies

• snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very well put. You may never know it, but I am sure it will make a difference to someone.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Great post!! :smile:

You are on the money. I had two ankle surgeries a few years back due to some old sport injuries... unfortunately the two surgeries were on the same ankle and I have to admit I gained quite a few pounds between then and where I was. Before MFP, I wouldn't work out because "I had a bad wheel" but after doing MFP for almost 2 months now, I'm healthy, more flexible, and I'm actually exploring ways to get back into sports. It starts off with baby steps but you always build. When I get more comfortable with everything, I'm going to start running again to see where that takes me

Thanks for posting!
  • imma_rosta
    imma_rosta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!