Nutrition of Boneless Chicken Breasts?

Options
epmck11
epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
This is a stupid question, but I just want to make sure: do all boneless chicken breasts from grocery store meat sections essentially have the same nutrition? I'm wondering because I found a much cheaper and smaller grocery store in my area that has boneless chicken breasts for almost half of the cost of the major grocery store that I've been buying them from, but the cheaper one doesn't print nutritional facts on the chicken and it's not on MFP so I'm not sure how to account for it if it's not comparable to other boneless chicken breasts. I figure they're all roughly the same, but wanted to get some feedback.

Note: Not asking about any pre-prepared meat or anything already packaged from another manufacturer, but just the meat from the meat section of the grocery store.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The main issue is weather they are with out without ribmeat. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.
  • epmck11
    Options
    It doesn't say anything about rib meat. Simply says "Boneless Chicken Breasts: Product of USA." And that's about it. I assume that means it doesn't have rib meat?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say anything about rib meat. Simply says "Boneless Chicken Breasts: Product of USA." And that's about it. I assume that means it doesn't have rib meat?

Can't you just look at it and see if it has rib meat attached?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it's all the same.
  • epmck11
    Options

No, how do I tell the difference? Looks all the same to me.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    There's not much variation,from my experience. For a 4oz serving, it normally ranges from 100-110 calories. Just find something in the database similar to that and you're golden
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    Added growth hormones and antibiotics in cheap chicken makes a huge difference to me
  • drmerc
    Options

chicken-breast-2.png
  • drmerc
    Options
    Added growth hormones and antibiotics in cheap chicken makes a huge difference to me
    why
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    As long as the fat is trimmed, or you trim it yourself, the caloric and nutritional value is basically the same.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Actually, a lot of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts are injected with Broth, which is nominally to keep it moist after it has been frozen and thawed for shipping, but it also adds water weight and sodium.

All are not the same, but that is not saying one is better or worse.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not the Subway-style processed meat-product masquerading as a chicken breast, it's going to be about the same, ounce for ounce.
  • epmck11
    Options

I don't care about this, I'm merely wondering what the nutritional value of the chicken is.

(Also, I believe it is illegal in the U.S. to give growth hormones to chickens, so the 'organic' chicken packaging is just nonsense since no chickens are given growth hormones. But that's for another thread, anyway.)
  • drmerc
    Options
    Actually, a lot of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts are injected with Broth, which is nominally to keep it moist after it has been frozen and thawed for shipping, but it also adds water weight and sodium.

All are not the same, but that is not saying one is better or worse.

Thanks for getting the ghost busters theme stuck in my head
  • epmck11
    Options

chicken-breast-2.png

Thank you.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Too bad there wasn't a website or something with a food database that you could search for nutritional information ... Being able to track your intake & macros would be really useful too ...
  • epmck11
    Options
    Too bad there wasn't a website or something with a food database that you could search for nutritional information ... Being able to track your intake & macros would be really useful too ...

No need to be a smart *kitten*. I'm simply wondering what the differences between chicken breasts are because I wanted to know how I should record the chicken in my food diary, and there are differences between chicken breasts if you look through the database, so I just wanted to double check. If you don't care to contribute to the discussion, then don't click the thread and don't bother trolling.

Sorry, I'll let the forums get back to the all important questions of whether you should eat back your calories, if carbs are bad for you, or if breakfast is necessary. I apologize for coming here with a real question that I wondered that hasn't already been beaten to death.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    And Zumba. How do I log Zumba?
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Different brands can have different levels of sodium, but it is unlikely there'll be much variation in caloric content. And I have found the sodium counts in MFP postings are often inaccurate, so I don't sweat it (I checked the packaging of the brand and it was not the crazy sodium content in the MFP posting.)