It helps...

Options
I don't know what's wrong with me the past month or so. I was good about returning to the gym until last week when "life got in the way." But I still can't get my eating under control. I have NO self-discipline it seems. In 2008, I was using a personal trainer and had joined a gym for the first time, and I was also going to culinary school in which there were many cakes, pies, brownies, and other FABULOUS desserts (my weakness) to take home every day. I had such discipline then - I never brought the stuff home. I always took it to my dad's office, and I would try one small bite of just 1 thing each day (5 days a week) to see how it should taste. So why can't I control my eating habits now, with me being at home all day and NOT being around that crap???

The past week has been not-so-good. I have felt so lethargic and just so blah (I think there are other personal issues that might be playing into my mood lately). I do website work from home, and I'm slacking in that as well. I just have no desire to do anything lately, and it sucks. :( I am going to force myself to go out and do zumba tonight and will be starting personal training again tomorrow with a trainer, so I hope this pulls me out of this awful "rut" I'm in.

I must say though, that in looking through some posts here on MFP, and in reading some success stories, it has lifted my spirits slightly. Perhaps I should read through success stories here daily. I hope that getting back to exercising will help too. The other day, I was dragging so bad, I felt like I could have fallen asleep sitting up on the couch at like 2 in the afternoon, and I NEVER take naps... I need my energy and motivation back.

Replies

• OliveCarsey
    Options
    Why are you home all day now when 2 years ago you were in culinary school?
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I decided the culinary thing (job-wise) wasn't for me after trying out 2 work places (which are now closed and no longer in business). I do web-design now and other web-related things, so I work from home and love it. Therefore, it shouldn't be hard for me to stay focused since I'm not around unhealthy food all the time.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives me energy. It boosts my mood and makes my day lovely. Some days I am less active and those days try my eating patience. I will have cravings, or be bored and catch myself looking through the fridge. Now I know that I have to be active EVERY day. Hope you feel better soon!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to be at home with unstructured time. Can't work at home without the kitchen being a constant draw. Perhaps you need to make some rules. Like you can't eat at your desk. If you are going to eat it has to be at a scheduled break time/lunch time?
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels to struggle with motivation, for sure!

Depression, and general dissatisfaction can lead to feelings like you describe, and also can lead a person to seek comfort in familiar places. For some of us, it's food, some alcohol (me), others drugs, and the list goes on. What happens when we 'backslide' or don't succeed can be that we become angry with ourselves or frustrated and we begin to feel that we are failures, and this is even less motivating to change our ways! I think in my own experience, this aspect of struggling with "comfort products" has been the most damaging to me, because I end up in a spiral that becomes gradually more difficult to get out of.

Someone in my life once said something to me very helpful in this regard, and I'll share it. She said: "Think of life, and your goals, like a trip down the highway. Sometimes you pull off the road and stop in that Quickie-Mart. Sometimes you spend a few days in the motel. But that doesn't mean when you'll wake up and realize you're back at the beginning. Just get back on the highway and keep going, and eventually you get there."

A lot of changing your lifestyle is psychological, and especially when we're in life situations that make us prone to feeling down, remembering to reward yourself with positive thoughts and not to beat yourself up for "temporary layovers" can really help. In the sense of cognitive behavioral change, these things (and ways of thinking) eventually become habit, and it's easier for you to feel rewarded by your accomplishments and therefore to feel good about yourself. So take it one day at a time, and try to tell yourself at least one good thing about your progress toward reaching your goal each day.

If you are able, also, try to get a little bit of sunshine every day! =)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need another! =)
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to be at home with unstructured time. Can't work at home without the kitchen being a constant draw. Perhaps you need to make some rules. Like you can't eat at your desk. If you are going to eat it has to be at a scheduled break time/lunch time?
    I think it's the unstructured time, though I've been self-employed for a few years now. I'm a creature of routine, and I've had virtually no routine the past 2 weeks. Those are some good ideas though, about not eating at my desk and having scheduled break and lunch times. I normally eat every meal at my desk except dinner (and sometimes that too). Thanks for the tip!