Anyone else here with bulimia?

Options
I kind of really hate having to bare myself on here, and I would love the support of anyone - especially those of you who are going through the same things i am at the moment.

I just told my mum about this after two years... So I'm considerably freaked out about what the future holds.

This is difficult thing for me, but I know it's good. Totally up for making virtual support daisy chains ;)

Seriously, though. I would love to getting touch with you if you'd like :)

Replies

• freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Hi,
    I dont have bulimia but my older sister has had it for about 4 years now so im very familiar with the whole thing. So if you every need an understanding ear or are struggling feel free to message me. Im no therapist but i know my sister appreciates having me to talk to so if you need that too I'm always happy to help. <3 I think you are very brave for being open about this and I know how hard it must have been for you to finally tell your mum, so you should be proud of yourself for reaching out xxx
  • tareysherex
    Options
    Thank you so much, your care means the world. I have absolutely no idea what to do right now. I don't know if I should try to get better or not. I'm going to try and get better, though. See what happens. I'll definitely shoot you a message if I'm battling with anything over my head. Thankyou again lovely :') xx
  • theleenmachine
    theleenmachine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

Having recovered from a battle with bulimia since I was a teenager, I would like to say that you've taken one of the hardest steps forward - coming out of the closet. Congratulations. That was step 1 - now for the rest of the journey to recovery.

I fully understand your battle with food, but you're risking an early trip to the grave if you don't stop. I've suffered a series of complications with my health and I can assure you, if I hadn't put a stop to it when I did 3 years ago, I would be dead by now. Do the right thing and put an end to it while you can.

If you ever need someone to hear you out, feel free to send a message. Bulimia does not have to rule your life.

Best,
    L
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you told your mom. Perhaps you are thinking about going into recovery? I hope so.

When I was in high school, by best friend was a bulimic. She was so wonderful. Funny, beautiful, loyal. She was so ill that her hair started falling out and her teeth went bad. I am happy to say that I am still in contact with her, and she has since recovered and gone on to have a beautiful family.

You can get better too.
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Thank you so much, your care means the world. I have absolutely no idea what to do right now. I don't know if I should try to get better or not. I'm going to try and get better, though. See what happens. I'll definitely shoot you a message if I'm battling with anything over my head. Thankyou again lovely :') xx

Definitely try to get better, this disease can have awful repercussions that nobody deserves to live with. Remember we are all her for you when you need the support or even someone to just vent to :) So message me whenever and as I have MFP on my phone I will probably be able to reply quickly. xxxxxxx
  • tareysherex
    Options
    Thank our all so, so much. I would very much like (scared as a scared thing though!!) to go into recovery, and I've mentioned this to mum, but my timetable this year doesn't seem to allow it. I don't know what to do. So this is why I turned to MFP. At least it should motivate me to eat considerably less on my binges.

I'll actually add all you lovelies as friends if that's okay, for I'd really love the opportunity to talk with you about some stuff later on down the road. Much love :)
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Of course :) Im sure I speak for everyone here when I say we are all willing to help and support you. Once you have admitted you have a problem and want to get help its going to be a lot easier for you to recover. Instead on focusing on eating less maybe you should try and work out what lead you to bulimia in the first place (for my sister it was her relationship with our parents). Fix this issue and it might be easier to stop reverting back to binging and purging. I will admit that having been influenced by my sister as we grew up together i have binged to the point of being sick and sometimes I still do (its hard for me to admit that) So trust me when I say I know its hard but, you me and everyone else here can beat this, we may have a few slip ups we may want to give up. I'm not going to promise that it will be easy but I can promise it will be worth it <3
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing since I was 18. I was almost 400 pounds and miserable. I didn't tell anyone until my late twenties because who would believe a fatso like me was sitting on her knees in front of a toilet scratching the back of her throat? I wasn't loosing any weight. But I got to a point where I wasn't gaining any too.
    I NEVER ate in front of people. I always ate in my room, car or after people had left or gone to bed. I would buy bags of different fast food and eat them in my car. Then throw the food up in the back of the parking lot behind the dumpster. My throat hurt. I cleared my voice a lot and drank a lot of water. I felt weak but still like a ticking bomb, like I would explode at the tiniest thing. I think I did it mostly because my life was so painful and I didn't know how to change it. So, I took EVERYTHING out on myself. It was no one's fault, it was just my fault.
    It was my doctor that said that I was bulimic first. I had the hardest time saying the word out loud. It was as though I was branding myself. When I told my mom she didn't seem too upset. She was just glad I wasn't gaining weight. I was confused and hurt that she didn't react the way I hoped she would. She wasn't concerned. She didn't force me to get help. I wanted help but had no idea how to ask for it.
    I won't lie to you. I find myself doing it once in awhile when I am very stressed. But not like I used to. Absolutely not as much. It still has that effect on me though. I never got treatment or the right therapy because no one understood. But what seemed to help me was I moved away from the life that was hurting me so much. Then I forced myself to take a college class.When I felt stronger I got a part time job. Part time because I didn't feel strong enough emotionally for a full time. I forced myself to do something. To change my thinking and give myself a task so I couldn't concentrate as much on my disorder.
    There are people and places to get help. Therapy is good too. The way I did it worked for me. Everyone is different.
    I wish you luck. I know how difficult it is to feel strong when you feel so weak emotionally. You feel like you can't control anything. But you are stronger than you realize. It took strength to write this post. Asking for help is the hardest part.
    If you want, you can email me. I might not understand everything, but I'll try my very best.

Take care.

Robin
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    There's a binge-eating support group if you're interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group. It's a really great group.
  • hollyjon
    Options
    I hope you keep to it. I am trying to do the same thing. It is often a struggle, but I am doing pretty good. Only have a couple days a month that I go back to old, bad habits. Good luck!!
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    I have been bulimic all of my life, but I did finally seek help for it. The psych told my that I should never focus on diet, I needed to keep my calories under a certain amount. He told me there are no bad foods, just count what you eat toward your calorie total. That really helped me, as I considered some foods which I loved, ie: chocolate candy bars forbidden, and if I ever ate one, I felt so guilty that that would start the throwing up process all over again. I was a secret eater, and I would eat large qualities of junk, and then get sick. I am also a perfectionist, and it has always been all or nothing for me, so this has been a real tough journey for me. I will go gung ho into a diet, and I used to forbid all of the things I loved. Then, the cravings would start and you know the rest of the story. I have ruined my gag reflex, and when I am sick, there are many problems I have to deal with. MFP has been so beneficial for me, as I can see what the calorie count is of something I like, and then make the choice if I want to work that into my count for the day. The support here is wonderful, we are all struggling with one thing or another, and it appears to all revolve around food. Get some help with your disorder, it really helps. Log what you eat, that is very helpful. Find a support system that you can trust. You can get better. MFP has been the first time I have been able to do things sensibly and slowly, which is healthy. I know if I mess up today, tomorrow will be a new start, and the friends here are here to help me. Give back as much as you get, we all need the help. You are worth the effort, don't forget it. Friend me if you want