Gross or Practical?

Options
124»

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all! At least you're washing them. I see no problem with it.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i rarely wash my jeans. i have one pair that fit me currently.
    i think after i bought them i went 6 months before i washed them the first time.

i see nothing wrong with what you do.
  • kathers01
    kathers01 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Gross. I wash my stuff everytime. My clothes are usually drenched.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in the washing machine after every workout and have no issues. Seems like more work to "rinse with hot water and a bar of soap and then airdry" than to just throw them in the washing machine.

I work out 3x a week and only have 2 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. I consistently have both clean to choose from with the above method.

Wow!! Do you not have to pay for your own water and electricity? I can't even imagine using the washer and dryer everyday. I'm starting to have a panic attack thinking of how much water and electricity is being used for that, not to mention how much that would cost.

1.) Gas dryer.
    2.) water, even with me taking a bath every SINGLE day, doing laundry every other day at least, and dishes, etc. is roughly $40.00 a month.
    3.) even if it was more expensive... I don't spend a bunch of money on unnecissary things or live above my means. I have NEVER had an issue where $40.00 on water or even $300 on electricity set me back.

If not just for shear convineance, i don't see why you WOULDN'T do that. If you can't afford water or electricity to do chores, that seems like finances or priorities are not in the right place?

Edit to say: Maybe that's just the way I look at it! To me, it seems like people are always "trying to save a buck" by doing things that already DON'T cost that much money, but have no problem blowing money on food, eating out, alchohol, tanning memberships, etc. =/

Good for you,but everyone else may not be as fortunate. You don't know the OP's financial situation.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... this is how I look after a half hour of running. This pic was taken in April, when the weather was still fairly cool. It's worse in the summer.

IMG_4225.jpg

Does it really matter all that much if the shirt was springtime fresh or not when I left the house?!

I typically run or exercise, before showering, in whatever shirt or tank top I slept in the night before, and very often sleep in the shirt or tank top I wore that day. A shirt or shorts that have been hand washed are a lot cleaner than what I'm wearing when I head out the door!

If I were running a race, or in any other way going to be in close contact with other people, I'd wear clean clothes.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If they don't stink then why not. I'm not going to lie, I wear a workout bra at least twice before I wash it. Wish I had the $$ for enough not to but I don't and I can't go to the laundry just to wash 1 or 2 days of clothes. Rinse and reuse.
  • K8T80
    K8T80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Vinegar works wonders. I do find that the wicking clothes hold onto the sweat smell, and every once in a while they need to sit in vinegar. You could buy a few more pairs, put the dirty ones in the bucket until wash day and be good or you could just let them sit in the vinegar for a few hours or a day before you do the rinsing thing.

Then again, I make my own laundry detergent, so I might be considered really gross. ;)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So you're handwashing them a couple of times, then putting them in the laundry. I don't see that as gross, unless they stink even after you've handwashed them. They won't be perfectly clean from the handwash, but then they're not going to be perfectly clean when you're wearing them anyway, as you'll be sweating during your workout.

Although from a practical point of view, you'll save time if you get more shirts - you can just put them straight into the washing machine and they'll be washed when you do a load of laundry. Rather than spending time doing handwashing every day. I can't really see the point of what you're doing, unless you're into being really minimalist and only owning the minimum number of clothes.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I confess like Llynn, I wash each time I wear any item in a machine but everything is air dry. I will even change shirts, bras and socks between back to back uworkouts. The exercise towels get changed and the sports bras. I perspire too much so clothing chafes when wet.

I don't shower at the gym unless I have to go out. I go straight home and shower or bath even if I have been swimming and the items are washed not left. This can mean up to four changes of clothes per day. I also change my trainers between back to back work outs as there is too much moisture otherwise.

I also brush my teeth after every workout too.

Jasmin