High calorie, low fat, healthy foods?

Options
jvinmill
jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
I am looking for some recommendations for high calorie, low fat, healthy foods, aside from fruit.
Thank you!

Replies

• MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Watching. I'm having trouble meeting my caloric needs every day...

*Peanut/Almond Butter
    *Avocados
    *Smoothies - Just be careful what you put into them.
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Peanut butter and avocados are both high in fat... healthy fat I know... but I am doing OK with healthy fats as it is... Smoothies are basically fruit.
  • Zuardeuh
    Options
    whole grain breads. legumes. brown rice. potatoes. pasta.:bigsmile:
  • jvinmill
    Options
    whole grain breads. legumes. brown rice. potatoes. pasta.:bigsmile:

Thanks! I am always under on carbs, so I will try and incorporate more of these.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    To get calories, I have 60 grams of walnuts with my salad every lunch.

400 calories, 40g fat, 0g cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 10g protein, 8g carbs.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pretzels
    Starchy Vegetables
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i love these
    jimmydeanb.jpg
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Pretzels
    Starchy Vegetables

Mmmm pretzels! Good idea!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but you are better off going way over on healthy fats (avocados, nuts, etc.) rather than eating more carbs especially those that are in pretzels, muffins and pasta. Those are not known for their "health" benefits. Again, my opinion for what it is worth.

FYI: Fats and proteins will keep you full longer. Carbs won't.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, artichoke heats, brown rice, fish (salmon, tuna, shellfish), egg whites, almond milk, protein mixes (I use Herba Life Formula one).

Avocados and nuts are super calorie dense and super good for you - the fats are healthy fats and actually help you to lose wight and reduce HDL...
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    PS - loading up on carbs and sugars increases fat and cholesterol production in the body way more than fat does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B56Gpf1f5_A
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and avocados are both high in fat... healthy fat I know... but I am doing OK with healthy fats as it is... Smoothies are basically fruit.

No, they aren't mostly fruit - Look up receipes

Almond milk with protein powder spinach 1/2 cup of fruit and a veggie - theres my smoothie :)

Another poster took the words out of my mouth on the fats vs carbs/sugars! best of luck to ya.
  • davidlaplante
    davidlaplante Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a great high calorie carb. Smother it in KerryGold butter.

Aim for a low-carb diet rich in healthy fats. You'll eat less (healthy fats crush you're hunger once you've fat-adapted your metabolism) and feel better.

60-70% of my calories come from fat and I stay at 8-10% bodyfat w/o having to worry about working it off because the body only uses the fat it needs for energy and eliminates the rest. The only thing your body can convert into bodyfat is carbs.

Better yet, I'm never starving and my glucose and cholesterol are solid. The hardest thing I have to do is worry about busting over 100g of carbs. Which is easy to do with fruit. And alcohol. And wheat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...The only thing your body can convert into bodyfat is carbs.
    You may want to Google "gluconeogenesis".
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ...The only thing your body can convert into bodyfat is carbs.
    You may want to Google "gluconeogenesis".

Not sure how gluconeogenesis is relevant here, yes your body can make glucose from non-carb sources but it does that when your blood sugar is getting low
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned that your diet is low in simple sugars than low in fat to be honest. Limit the saturated fat, sure, and don't eat trans fat, ever, because it's poison, but the good fats, you don't need to worry about those so much.

Getting your calories from healthy fat sources like oily fish, nuts, coconut, avocado, flaxseed oil, nut butters, is better than loading up on grains and starch - it might be low fat, but it's nutritionally not that great. If you want to get a few more carbs in, quinoa is a good choice, because it contains magnesium and iron, it has better nutritional value than rice or pasta.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pound of chicken.