going to the Movies

Options
I was wondering what you guys do about going to see movies when it comes to food. I am planning on going tonight and I got me some M&Ms, Twizlers, and Sam Flavored water. Sometimes I bring nothing and sometimes I bring just gum. If anyone is wondering I am going to see The Hunger Games for a 3rd time.

Replies

• TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm not one of those people that gets tempted easily. Just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it.
  • Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to bring something crunchy so I don't miss the popcorn. I love white cheddar rice cakes. I think they taste better than the theater popcorn and none of the fats and calories. I also like the skinny cow candy bars.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS get popcorn. Watching a movie in a movie theater is just not right if I'm not eating hot air popped popcorn. Now I just get a small and no extra butter. But I gotta have my popcorn. The smell alone is breathtaking!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I get the smallest size of popcorn - no butter and a diet coke. Or we go out to eat first and then don't want any treats.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know what to do. I know it's a crazy idea, but how 'bout don't eat it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Bottle of water. It's only two hours and I'll be being entertained the entire time that I'm there, so I guess that I personally don't really see a need to have a snack during that time.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You should eat popcorn instead of candy in a movie theater, and NEVER get it buttered because it can have obscene amounts of calories when buttered.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a movie snacker so what i do to avoid buying the movie theatre junk food is get a couple fruit leathers at the store and I eat them really slowly during the movie. It's cheaper by far.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    Truth is I am a smuggler. Yesterday I went Cheap. I did log it on my diary. Bac in 2006 when i started my change of lifestyle I would walk to the theaters, but life got more busy. I'd have water that I'd smuggle in from Chevron. Or I would summgle in food from Subway. Now thanks to my parent getting sick and couponing I don't have time to walk to the theater. So I wanted you guys to give me some ideas, they are great Ideas. I might try them next week for mIB 3.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    For the record I am a movie extra, so I go often just for work study. I am not a popcorn eater.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    Typically when I go to the movies, I bring along a diet soda or flavored seltzer water in my movie purse (extra large!). I enjoy popcorn, so I'll share a medium with my date(s), but I never get extra butter. If you like popcorn and want to share, here's a handy tip: Bring along coffee filters for everyone in your party. The filters hold a nice amount of popcorn, and you can just throw them away when you're done!
  • gettingto98
    Options
    ok this may sound weird, but hear me out! i bring sugar snap peas into the theatre. you can have a HUGE HUGE bag for around 140 calories -- they're crunchy, taste great, will fill you up with great nutrients, and last ya through the movie. just try it!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i usually sneak a bag of air popped popcorn (or microwaveable popcorn) and maybe some skinny cow chocolates. if i buy something at the theater, i get a soft pretzel with no salt - a lot of carbs, but yuuummm

ETA: sometimes i take in beef jerky, too
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple things that work:
    1 -I eat a meal just before I go...
    2 - I eat my meal there (i.e. hot dog or pretzel)
    3 - I go on a "free day" and STILL use that horrible food as a "meal" ...usually unbuttered popcorn (1/4 of a small bag is usually plenty) and some M&M's.
    4 - I bring a fiber bar.
    5 - I plan a nice meal for directly after.

Good luck. It takes getting used to, but you can definitely get to where you don't "need" anything at all.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This is kind of unrelated but I don't drink soda pop often but I will when I am at the movies. I sneak my own soda pop and the funny thing is that its kind of noticeable when you hear a big hhhsssssing sound from the carbonation escaping the bottle I am sure people know then. :happy:

For the OP if its in your calories range then go for it. Or just eat in moderation and hit the gym a little harder the next day. One instance of eating poorly will not make or break your overall diet as long as you have been on. Have fun.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My wife and I get a small popcorn, no butter, and split it between the two of us. It's usually more than enough. Last time we did this (10:30 AM showing of Bourne Legacy on Friday) it was enough that we didn't need to get lunch after the movie.

Otherwise I'll bring something healthy with me and smuggle it in.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    ok this may sound weird, but hear me out! i bring sugar snap peas into the theatre. you can have a HUGE HUGE bag for around 140 calories -- they're crunchy, taste great, will fill you up with great nutrients, and last ya through the movie. just try it!

Oooo! I may try this the next time I see a movie...