I have CF & stool blockage - weightloss plateau?

Options
So - I was hoping that I would not have to make this post, but I was currently on a 5 week plateau. And considering I am only 56 days in and have lost only 10 lbs I thought I should ask....

I have cystic fibrosis. It's a terminally ill disease. Which most people relate only to the respiratory aspect of it. A lot of people do not realize that there are a lot of digestive problems too. I do not have enzymes in my body, which cause my food to not digest. So I need to take "creon" every time I eat to make sure that happens. I also excrete all the salt in my body and am supposed to be on a high sodium diet because salt is what helps you to "cool off" and when I lose all my salt - I stay hot for a long period of time. Needless to say, I do not eat extra salt because right now I am currently fine but..... anyways -

There have been many times in the past when I have been neglectful or embaressed of taking my medication around others, this mostly happened in middle school and high school and eventually caused me to suffer through some very harsh "blockages" where I needed to be hospitalized and it caused internal damage to my kidneys.

Needless to say, although I am pretty dedicated to taking my enzymes with meals and snacks, there still are instances where they dont always digest the food. I am starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and take a few gallons of Miralax to try and clean myself out and see if that helps me get out of my plateau. What if I have a blockage that I am not aware of, from before - and that is why I am not losing any weight?

I definately am not one of those people who would do a colon cleanse to get skinny, and I do not recommend it. I have a medical issue that may just be holding me back. Any advice or knowledge of this would be lovely. Positive only please....

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I would say talk to your doctor, who better to advise you.
  • 62clpowell
    62clpowell Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I so agree talk with your doctor
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    He is going to tell me to use miralax every day, which I am already doing this week anyway.

But, I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and be a reason for their plateau????? Seems like a good reason to have plateaud, right.
  • kman27
    kman27 Posts: 6
    Options
    Go back a few days, weeks, or even months and you will find tons of posts about plateaus. It happens to almost everyone and there are many causes. You seem fixed on it being medical and that may very well be so you will get the 'see your doctor' advice. It could also be your calorie intake, food choices, exercise, salt intake, etc. If you think it might be other things then you will probably need to open your diary to others so they can help analyze and give suggestions. Or you can friend people you trust so they can see and offer advice.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kman. You are welcome to add me & check out my diary - it is public to friends.

I went between 1200-1800 calories a week each to see what works for me with no result. But someone told me you have to try a calorie count for at least 2-3 weeks to see any change / result.

I normally work out at the gym 4-5x a week, every OTHER week because of my work schedule.

I eat a very clean diet. Mostly raw veggies and fruits. With a mix of chicken and small amount of beef. I thought carbs might be my problem too. But because of how I felt this passed weekend with my stomach issues, it triggered a thought in my mind about that maybe being the issue. We'll see.