Fruit Smoothies/Protein Shakes

Options
What fruits do you put in your fruit smoothies/protein shakes?
The only one I have tried is banana and mango yogurt smoothie
Since both banana and mango have a lot of natural sugar in them, I am looking for other yummy fruit smoothies
Looking for any good ideas/combinations =)

Replies

• trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought a magic bullet at the beginning of the summer and love making smoothies.

After a workout I love making my version of a chunky monkey protein shake
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of water
    Optional : ice

In the morning I like a green smoothie:
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup water
    1 frozen banana or 1/2 cup strawberries
    (you can also add a vanilla protein powder to this)

The thing with fruit smoothies is you can add almost any kind of fruit and it will taste great. Hope this gives you some ideas :)
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a picky eater. I stick with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple and banana in any combination as long as it has the strawberry in it.
  • healthyhawaii
    Options
    I keep bags of frozen fruit for my morning smoothies already prepared: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, kiwi, mango, pineapple, and bananas (though I actually don't care for the way bananas thicken my smoothies since they're already pretty thick). Take advantage of seasonal fruits, too, like berries, peaches, etc. I also keep frozen fruit puree, including acai, guava, and a maitai/tropical blend. Papaya is actually good, too, though sweeter than I care for personally.

Also, someone mentioned spinach, but be careful how much raw spinach and swiss chard you eat due to the oxalate content.
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I guess I'll be experimenting!!
    Did you guys continue to lose weight regardless of the sugar in the fruits?
    I have hit a plateau... would decreasing fruit get the weight loss started again?
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I bought a magic bullet at the beginning of the summer and love making smoothies.

After a workout I love making my version of a chunky monkey protein shake
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of water
    Optional : ice

In the morning I like a green smoothie:
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup water
    1 frozen banana or 1/2 cup strawberries
    (you can also add a vanilla protein powder to this)

The thing with fruit smoothies is you can add almost any kind of fruit and it will taste great. Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Your chunky monkey smoothie sounds really good!
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Are you guys using the smoothies as a meal replacement?
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My inventions

SlimFast Shake – Serving 1 – Calories per serving 395
    · 2 cups of Skim Milk
    · 1 Banana ( Frozen is best, peel it first ) I peel a bunch and put them into a ziplock then freeze them.
    · 1 scoop of Slim Fast
    · Throw all ingredients into a blender and let it rip. Drink it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it’s like having a chocolate peanut butter ice cream shake. Very delicious and filling.

Yogurt Shake – Serving 1 – Calories per serving 343
    · 1 banana, frozen or not frozen, your choice
    · 1 Yoplait yogurt original (avoid artificial sweeteners)
    · ¾ cup of skim milk
    · ½ cup of water

· Throw it all in a blender and let it rip. Any flavor yogurt, it all tastes good!
  • rm_and_m
    Options
    You're green smoothies are not juiced? Just blended? I've juiced them before but never blended. I'll give it a try. What's the texture like?
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Castell5 - are these meal replacement shakes? If so, are they keeping you full?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My favorites are raspberry and pineapple (not together). The pineapple makes it taste like a pina colada. I also use frozen fruit so it makes it more sorbet-like.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My Breakfast Smoothie is
    -1 cup coconut milk (usually unsweetened but this week I have vanilla)
    -1 scoop (20g) of Protein powder (I use Heartland Organic Brown Rice Powder)
    -1 serving (140g) of frozen berries/fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries, black berries)
    -2 Tbsp of Chia Seeds
    - and a bit of water, I don't like mine too thick.

ETA: Sometimes I'll stick spinach in there too if I have it in the fridge
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    google The Wellness Warrior and sign up for her newsletter, she includes an 80+ smoothie recipe e-book.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is the water for texture or to replace some calories from the milk?
    If I used all milk, I assume it would be too thick?
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My niece gave me this frozen banana grinder gizmo, called a Yonana as a Christmas present. When I opened-up the package, I thought "oh-noooo, what am I going to do with this thing!!"... but it makes a really good frozen snack - quite delicious, actually.

The basic recipe calls for frozen bananas only, and that makes a very smooth, ice cream or sorbet-like treat. My favorite is to grind-up broken-up bananas and some Dole frozen fruit (strawberry, peaches, blueberries... etc.) together, I buy by the bag of frozen fruit at our local Sams Club.

This is very refreshing, ice cream-like, and as I said earlier, quite delicious!!

My niece did very good this year!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Is the water for texture or to replace some calories from the milk?
    If I used all milk, I assume it would be too thick?

I don't know about everyone else, but I use 1 cup of coconut milk and about 1/2 cup of water because I already have the taste I want from the milk but don't really want to add anymore calories. The 1/2 water doesn't dillute the taste, so I'd rather use that.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    They keep me full. They are meal replacement ... I usually have them for breakfast.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    Castell5 - are these meal replacement shakes? If so, are they keeping you full?
    They keep me full. They are meal replacement ... I usually have them for breakfast.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Last night's protein shake:

1 scoop Blubonnet chocolate whey protein isolate
    0.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 medium frozen banana, chopped
    1 cup frozen raw blueberries

Because of the frozen fruit, my shake actually turned into a frosty that I had to eat with a spoon. And eating it with a spoon made me smile the entire time.

Another shake I made last year had the same ingredients except the fruit was not frozen. I also added a Yoplait Light yogurt (couldn't remember the exact flavor but I'd tried half a dozen of flavors in the past and they all worked well), 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and broke two squares of 82% cacao dark chocolate into the mix. Threw in a few cubes of ice. The chocolate blended just fine in my Ninja. As a matter of fact, the Ninja chopped the chocolate up into sprinkles. My protein shake turned into a sundae that filled a 40 oz mug. It was a HEFTY dessert after dinner. This made me smile a lot, too. :smile:

Strength training buddy makes his protein shake with Optimum Nutrition's vanilla protein powder, either unsweetened almond milk or water, and frozen fruit (he really liked his vanilla strawberry shake from a few nights ago).