I'm in love with bread

Options
I eat peanut butter sandwiches, toast, and any kind of meat sandwich, but it's always wheat bread or whole grain. I just stopped putting mayo on it and just deal with the lettuce, meat and bread. I heard that people use lettuce wraps, is that even good? I previously asked if i should ditch bread, but after some answers i realized that i don't need to ditch it forever but i eat it too much. Any alternatives?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you think is too much bread. I eat sometimes 3 sandwiches a day because theyre fast and easy and I don't care to cook when I'm alone. I eat natures own whole grain bread at only 50 calories each.

As for alternatives: tortilla wraps or making your sandwich into a salad.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I like lettuce wraps, particularly butter and romaine lettuces. It really brings out the crunch in my lunch, pretty satisfying in my opinion.
  • Lindbergnd
    Options
    I don't know what you think is too much bread. I eat sometimes 3 sandwiches a day because theyre fast and easy and I don't care to cook when I'm alone. I eat natures own whole grain bread at only 50 calories each.

When i say too much, i mean one or two every day. But it's great to see I'm not the only one eating that many sandwiches! Thanks for helping out!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't let me see a loaf of bread with a hole in it, just sayin.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

When i say too much, i mean one or two every day. But it's great to see I'm not the only one eating that many sandwiches! Thanks for helping out!

A lot of times people say to avoid bread because of gluten, carbs or something like that. If you don't have any type of food sensitivity and it fits well into your macros, you should be golden.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Excuse me? I have been in love with bread for years! Just who do you think you are? You tell me where Bread is this minute!
  • Lindbergnd
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, omg took me a second to realize what you were getting at. Good one!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

A lot of times people say to avoid bread because of gluten, carbs or something like that. If you don't have any type of food sensitivity and it fits well into your macros, you should be golden.

Like a shower. :drinker:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian....to NOT eat bread once a day is like a mortal sin. :laugh:
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    I too am a bread junkie, I could make my entire day eating bread. I have switched to whole grain, and hopefully that has helped, but for me to give it up, get real. Bread is goooooddddd!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you are very active and also do some type of strength training/weights just keep the bread in to replenish glycogen. You can eat more of it if active. On the days not so active have a bread-free day.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    If you are very active and also do some type of strength training/weights just keep the bread in to replenish glycogen. You can eat more of it if active.

Why only if you're active?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    If you are very active and also do some type of strength training/weights just keep the bread in to replenish glycogen. You can eat more of it if active.

If you are leaning out it helps sometimes to limit carbs from bread, pasta etc. If you are not so active your glycogen stores are not getting replenished regularly. You can still keep to a calorie amount, eat bread and lean out. Some lean out better/easier if limiting/lowering carbs slightly. Do what works. I was just giving a suggestion.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Would that be pumpernickel after he wrecks it?
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love bread too, but I had to work on some alternatives once I started going low-carb. I am learning to use almond flour in my cooking. Here's something I just tried this weekend and I'm already making it again tonight! Almond flour "cornbread" with green onions. Sounded odd, but trust me it's awesome, fast, and if I can cook it, your toddler can. Link: http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/02/green-onion-cornbread/

Reader beware!! This is keto cooking, so the fat content might be higher than you are used to. Ketoers go low carb/high fat.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

If you are leaning out it helps sometimes to limit carbs from bread, pasta etc. If you are not so active your glycogen stores are not getting replenished regularly. You can still keep to a calorie amount, eat bread and lean out. Some lean out better/easier if limiting/lowering carbs slightly. Do what works. I was just giving a suggestion.

I'm not saying that limiting carbs isn't something that can be useful in certain situations. I'm saying that if what you are doing is working, you have no allergies or intolerance and you can fit it in your macros, bread isn't something to avoid or cut out of your diet.
  • suziecue66
    Options

I'm not saying that limiting carbs isn't something that can be useful in certain situations. I'm saying that if what you are doing is working, you have no allergies or intolerance and you can fit it in your macros, bread isn't something to avoid or cut out of your diet.
    Thats what I would say too.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I love bread too. I don't see any problem with eating it as long as it fits in your calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Bread's ok, but I'M in love with PASTA! I have a very active pasta-eating lifestyle and never had any problems with it. Just make sure it fits in your calories and try to eat whole grain, high fiber types. Mine is usually served with lean protein, a little heart-healthy fat and tons of veg. :heart:
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    As long as eating bread doesn't mean your not eating other type of nutritious food such as fruit and vegetables then you should be fine.

Adding a few more serves of vegetables to what you eat probably wouldn't be a bad thing...

however you could just make a massive salad sandwich haha

also try stuff like sourdough if you don't mind the taste it has probiotics in it and is less likely to have weird preservatives.

Like all things bread with less ingredients (usually the obvious type, some kind of grain flour, oil, salt, etc. rather than numbers will be better for you than food with weird additives and preservatives).

Also mixing up which grain the bread is made from can be good, wheat, oat, rye, spelt, barley can also be a good.

But bread as part of a balanced calorie controlled diet is perfectly good for you.

Keep enjoying eating your bread haha