Help, can you name one thing...

Options
Birdie
Birdie Posts: 256 Member
I just got back from the doctor. I already can't have any dairy. And now in an effort to lose weight and get my triglycerides down I am not supposed to eat anything with the first three ingredients of wheat, sugar, corn, or potato. I know I can have all the obvious fruits, vegtables, and lean meats. But can you name one other thing I can have that doesn't have high starches or dairy? I am overwhlemed at the idea of grocery shopping since most things are now off limits and I am going to have to read every label.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Rice, oats, eggs, low carb wraps are sometimes not made of wheat
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I use unsweetened vanilla almond breeze as a milk sub, and I find it very similar in texture to skim milk. I have even been successful making ice cream with almond milk and alternative sweeteners. What about beans? You can use them as a protein and as a thickener is recipes. There are cheese products available that are soy based. There are yogurts that are non-dairy as well. I feel for you. You will have to get creative and keep an open mind. I think there would be products marketed to vegans and/or those who must live gluten free that would be ideal for you. Have you familiarized yourself with the glycemic index? It would be beneficial for you to have an idea of which foods have high/low glycemic index. I wish you all the best. :-)
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    gluten-free products, almond milk, coconut water, dark chocolate, quinoa???
  • stevenpmiller
    stevenpmiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Lots and lots of flavorless tofu :(
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Look for recipes that use almond flour in place of regular flour. It's been a lifesaver for me!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas! You can make a million kinds of hummus as dip for your veggies, or you can toss them in olive oil & spices (think chili powder & cumin, or curry) and roast them. Yum! The also make a great addition to soups, Soup! You can make all sorts of soups without those ingredients. Seriously, just grab some broth, and start sautéing veggies and adding them to the broth. Throw in some beans, spices, and you're done.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if you are not eating dairy make sure to keep an eye out for whey. It is in lots of foods you might not expect, and of course many protein powders and other foods that you would expect but might not think about. Just a heads up!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Lots and lots of flavorless tofu :(
    Yep thats what stuck in my head.
    U could try marinated tofu,

How about beans, legumes and nuts?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    seafood
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You might want to try joining one of the low carb groups here. There are some great ideas for recipes floating around this site and it could be very helpful. I'm on a low carb diet so I rarely eat starchy foods and have been doing pretty well with salads topped with chicken, I also love "Muffin in a minute" (you can google or find the recipe on this site) made with flax meal for a bread-alternative. Sounds like you feel pretty overwhelmed but you can do this! In fact, you might enjoy the journey...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the vegetable and meat aisle. And all the beans and soy you could want.

Buy a Chinese cookbook. Ignore the rice and noodle dishes.

Get a vegetarian or raw food cookbook and use those for side dishes with nice big portions of meat. Just skip the recipes with dairy (there will be a lot left). OR buy lots of veggies and go to epicurious.com and enter the veggies you bought. There will be lots of recipes.

Buy Jamie Oliver's book on how to cook. He has awesome recipes and rarely uses dairy or flour or corn or wheat.

And all these books are in the library.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if you are not eating dairy make sure to keep an eye out for whey. It is in lots of foods you might not expect, and of course many protein powders and other foods that you would expect but might not think about. Just a heads up!

I have found out the hard way to look for lactose, whey, and casine. It can be in things you don't even think could have milk protiens like processed meats. Many things labeled lactose free or the soy cheeses still contain casine or casinate.
  • IsabellK
    IsabellK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as you go along, and it is a lifestyle change but you will learn to love the vegetables in your diet I have found the mixed Birdseye Vegetables to be easy in a pinch to add to my meats in a hurry at the end of the day, also different seasonings help, this website has helped immensely with recipes.
    Good Luck, and do not give up.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch will be the hardest.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just look at paleo, primal, or low carb diet and they will point you towards the avoidance of most of those foods.

Just a plain caloric deficit will lower your tris.

Why no dairy?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The solution to the "label" problem (and my overall approach to eating) is to buy foods that don't have labels. Stay on the perimeter of the store.

No, not easy, but also not particularly hard either...
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, try looking for a smaller, co-op type store for bread products. You can have rice flour and oat flour and flax and nuts - you should be able to pick up some wheat free things. Then, try focusing on all the things you can have, versus what you can't. If you can turn your attitude toward the positive, you'll start seeing more and more things all around you. Search out gluten free and vegan recipes online. You can do this!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Go to this site. It is on Primal living. The ingredients you can't have are perfect for this lifestyle. Helped me lower my triglycerides and obviously my weight as well. No need to eat any grains, your body does not need them.