Anxiety attacks...

Options
Does anyone have effective coping strategies that don't involve medication or comfort eating? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• baasland
    baasland Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i wish i could tell you. i thought mine would be solved by some late night runs (which it did) but only for the time being. It gave me such a great rush but after I finally went to bed and woke up the next morning I was still having the same episodes throughout the day, until I finally get to workout/go running again.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    BUMP!
    Would definitely love to hear of any strategies too if anyone has some ideas.. Such a horrible feeling.. Wondering if there's something wrong with you or if it's just the anxiety.
    Would also be interested to hear other people's symptoms..
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i wish i could tell you. i thought mine would be solved by some late night runs (which it did) but only for the time being. It gave me such a great rush but after I finally went to bed and woke up the next morning I was still having the same episodes throughout the day, until I finally get to workout/go running again.

I'm sorry to hear you struggle too. Workouts help me in the moment as well, but same thing, once I'm done and during the day, it does nothing to prevent them. Currently I have pills, but I seldom take them because they are supposedly addictive. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us. :)
  • lindylubilou
    lindylubilou Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi try opening and closing your hand in a fist while breathing slowly can help and make sure you are getting enough sleep. I have found I'm a lot more anxious if I don't have enough sleep and also if I have too much caffeine. I hope things get better for you soon.
  • thedancingleper
    Options
    BUMP!
    Would definitely love to hear of any strategies too if anyone has some ideas.. Such a horrible feeling.. Wondering if there's something wrong with you or if it's just the anxiety.
    Would also be interested to hear other people's symptoms..

It's related to other conditions I am diagnosed with, but is a fairly new symptom. I have no history of them before a few months ago. They appeared suddenly and intensely out of nowhere.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    what are your symptoms? do you get really bad palpitations?
  • thedancingleper
    Options
    Hi try opening and closing your hand in a fist while breathing slowly can help and make sure you are getting enough sleep. I have found I'm a lot more anxious if I don't have enough sleep and also if I have too much caffeine. I hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks for that. =)
  • thedancingleper
    Options
    Fear, and shaking. My legs and hands start shaking and I get these awful feelings that something horrible is going to happen any moment. Really ridiculously unrealistic horrible things too. Part of my brain logically can recognize my thoughts as unlikely, but the majority of my mind refuses to stop thinking about it as though it were really going to happen at any moment. My heart races too and my stomach churns and craves food for comfort.

what are your symptoms? do you get really bad palpitations?
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Things you can try: As an anxiety attack is a breakdown in homeostasis, like a broken thermostat.

Add a multivitamin to your diet. Be sure you are getting all the vitamins you need for all your body's metabolic transactions. Are you getting enough calcium, for example?

Get a sleep study done. Even slim people can suffer from sleep apnea, causing panic attacks in the middle of the night.

Check your blood pressure and be sure it is in the acceptable range.

Limit caffeine and sodium. No caffeine once the morning is over, and none with lunch. No tobacco.

Go back to your doctor.

Be sure you're getting enough calories and that your career it not too stressful.

Opening your diary may help, sometimes it is a no-brainer for us to help, if it is open.
  • thedancingleper
    Options
    Things you can try: As an anxiety attack is a breakdown in homeostasis, like a broken thermostat.

Add a multivitamin to your diet. Be sure you are getting all the vitamins you need for all your body's metabolic transactions. Are you getting enough calcium, for example?

Get a sleep study done. Even slim people can suffer from sleep apnea, causing panic attacks in the middle of the night.

Limit caffeine and sodium. No caffeine once the morning is over, and none with lunch. No tobacco.

Go back to your doctor.

Be sure you're getting enough calories and that your career it not too stressful.

Opening your diary may help, sometimes it is a no-brainer for us to help, if it is open.

Thank you, I really appreciate this post. :flowerforyou:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Been there. To the point I was on the brink of suicide. It can get better, I promise. First I suggest therapy. Saved my life. If you can't afford that then there are several things that I have found helpful. Deep breathing, meditation type exercises. Distraction works wonders. Exercise. Panic and anxiety are your fight or flight mechanisms kicking in, so if you run and release those endorphins it help immensely. Of course many of us can't run but a good hard, hear beat raising exercise of some sort seems to do the same thing.

What works the best for me is the meditation/breathing and realizing what it is I'm experiencing and that it's not going to kill me. To essentially "go with the flow" and let the emotions run through me, knowing that I am safe and nothing bad is really going to happen. The more you do it the easier it gets.
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have bad anxiety.. My doctor took me off my pills about 2 months ago, and now I find that the best way of coping with my anxiety is to either do meditation, or do a hobby I love.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat beans -- usually emotional eating (for me) involves carbs such as pizza, potatoes, etc. So beans are a healthier replacement for me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I take medication, but it isn't foolproof. I use meditation and exercise to supplement my anxiety meds. They help. Try yoga or even just stretching, and make sure you breathe deeply.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety and I am on medication but other coping methods for me have been therapy and exercise.
    Meditation doesn't work for me but I've heard of a lot of other people using this to help with anxiety.
  • baasland
    baasland Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is just too funny for me. I definitely could use a multivitamin in my life, that's for sure. I know I am getting enough sleep at night (for now at least). Blood pressure is pretty average, caffeine is very low, sodium a little elevated. Calories are pretty low and I am very very stressed all of the time; work being the main reason.

Go back to your doctor.

• Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    I have had anxiety attacks at certain periods in my life.

One thing I tried that took time was to set boundaries with people that were causing me stress. For example, my mother called me several times a week, which compounded with other things, gave me attacks. I talked and talked to her and eventually got her to call less and I didn't answer unless it was our weekly scheduled call.

I also got rid of some responsibilities that I no longer enjoyed, ended my terms in voluntary organisations, that sort of thing.

Also, not entirely related, but I have found that one way for me to control eating is to do something with my hands, usually something repetitive that I don't need to think about much. My husband used to do rug hooking, for example. It can become very zen like if you get into something like that.

I hope you feel better.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I found that repetitive tasks helped me a lot while I was preggo. I was getting panic attacks something wicked. Believe it not, I took up crochet (sounds strange, I know). But the repetitive movements, with the constant counting involved actually helped to keep some of the attacks at bay.

Now I get them, but not as often. Less caffeine, and more daylight seemed to help. Regular walks helps me too.

Sorry you're going through this - I greatly sympathize.
  • apom36
    apom36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Take your mind do a different place, somewhere calming for you...for me, I go to the beach. I have had anxiety and panick for years, otherwise...I would make someone have a conversation with me until I was distracted enough that my symptoms passed. Good luck
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I take medication as well. I also have gone thru 5 yrs of therapy. Thankfully the VA has covered mine. It doesn't always work but they aren't as severe as they were without it. I find exercise can be really helpful. I also love sports so I will go to the local basketball court that I can find where there isn't anyone around and I will shoot baskets until it settles enough that I don't feel like hurting anyone or myself anymore. I also do some basic yoga exercise they seem to help as well. I hope you find what works best for you. And I also believe it can get better.