HRM--Confused About This

Options
I see a lot of people talking about and recommending a HRM. What exactly is a HRM? What is a reliable one? Also, most importantly, how do you use it?

Replies

• Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    HRM is a Heart Rate Monitor. The better ones are kinda pricey so I've not gotten one thus far.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 I use it to keep an eye on my heart rate so I dont go overboard during exercise after my heart attack and to get a better idea calories I actually burn as the MFP database is slightly off
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you are monitoring your heart after your heart attack. But how do you use the HRM to get a better idea of calories burned?
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You can get a HRM and input your height, age, weight, etc, and then during your workout you start it up. At the end of the workout you stop it and it will tell you how many calories you burned. I have the Polar FT7 and love mine!
  • Keiko385
    Options
    I'm so glad that you are monitoring your heart after your heart attack. But how do you use the HRM to get a better idea of calories burned?

The Polar FT4 lets me input my age, weight, height and it calculates the calorie burn for me when I exercise based on my actual heart rate. I could be wrong here but the MFP is calorie burned is based on averages not actual calorie burned
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the N4 by New Balance and absolutely love it!!! It keeps me in check with my workouts to let me know if I'm slacking or doing ok compared to the last time I did the same thing. Plus, it takes into account the factors of weight so it adjusts caloric burn to be more accruate. LOVE IT!!!! and it was $80 at Target, so far, worth every penny.
  • amy_kee
    Options
    OHhhhhhh ok, It is very easy then. Thank you all very much. I'm so glad you can just input all that data into it and just start and stop it. I will look into the Polar FT's & the N4's too. Thanks again. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Keiko385
    Options
    Yes they are easy, you can get some that are more involved if you want/need it. Just look for one with a chest strap for best accuracy
  • amy_kee
    Options
    OK, I didn't know about that. Thanks
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Of most use to athletes and those aiming to gain top performance from their body.

I've decided to just enjoy living a healthier lifestyle without obsessing and turning my day to day life into a science experiment.

If you read all the posts about HRMs those using them are still questioning how accurate they are. And then being told that they aren't accurate because everyone's body works differently...... $150 unnecessarily spent I think.

From what I can gather those who use a pedometer find them useful and say the pedometer encourages them to walk that little bit further - climb that extra flight of stairs - each day. I find the same with my GPS app "If I just walk that extra block I'll have done 5km". "If I walk just a little faster I'll be walking at XX speed".
  • amy_kee
    Options
    That's a good point too. Thanks.