Calories vs sugar intake

Options
So I usually have no problem staying below my daily net calories, however I usually go a little above on my sugar intake. For example today I still have 200 calories left to consume, but I'm 50 over my limit on sugar. The sugars are non-processed sugars mostly from my protein/fruit smoothie and from the foods I eat through the day. My question is how important is it to keep your sugars down below their limit if your net calorie intake is where it needs to be?

Replies

• AZOUROUDIS
    AZOUROUDIS Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wondered about this too, so I asked my doctor. He said sugar is sugar & doesn't matter where it comes from if you are watching your intake. Very frustrating because I want to eat more fruit. I am usually over my limit each day, but not by a lot.
  • cindy6649
    cindy6649 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's pretty important based on why I'm told. I'm in the Medi Weight Loss Clinics program and it's high protein, low carb. They would much rather me get extra calories from fat (i.e.cheese) than sugar (all those good things I love so much). I go in for weekly check ups and find that I always lose more weight on the weeks I keep the carbs low. They have also told me that any time I eat carbs, I should eat protein with it (grapes and cheese) because the protein increases metabolism and helps process the carbs better so you store fewer of them.

I hope that helps.