Elliptical calorie burn?

Options
I have a Nordic Track elliptical I work out on. Now I got a polar ft40 heart monitor and my monitor only shows I burn 1/2 the calories. Anyone else have the same experience?

Replies

• JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've seen big gaps like 300 for 2 hours straight, but nothing as drastic as half. Go with the HRM number (as long as it is calibrated correctly)
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank-you! I'm not sure if the hrm is calibrated correctly or not? I'm totally new with hrm but I have been SO TOTALLY AMAZED with how my moods affect my calorie burn!!! If I'm happy I burn way more then when I'm blue seems crazy but I've always heard ppl have to get the emotional junk in there life taken care of to loose weight.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    go with your hrm
    i burn about 90-100 cals every 10mins on mine
  • burkblondie
    burkblondie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! I also have a Nordic Track Elliptical as well and I burn a lot less on my Polar HRM. I would go with the HRM read. I did recently replace my batteries in both my HRM (the device on the strap) and Polar watch, I noticed my cal burn was a bit higher!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yes! I also have a Nordic Track Elliptical as well and I burn a lot less on my Polar HRM. I would go with the HRM read. I did recently replace my batteries in both my HRM (the device on the strap) and Polar watch, I noticed my cal burn was a bit higher!
    How often do you replace the batteries? My HRM has always been less than that of the gyms elipticals. Now seems even more less. Ive had it for 6 months, is it time?
  • burkblondie
    burkblondie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would, just to see if the cal burn gets higher! Just remember to replace both batteries! A battery usually lasts for a few years, but you never know how old the HRM is, it may have sat on the shelf for a while!

Even with new batteries the Elliptical still reads a lot higher. Yesterday, I did 35 min on the elliptical, and the machine read 550, my HRM read 310.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In my experience the burns listed on the elliptical machines are extremely optimistic (read, wrong). I'd go with the HRM.