Anyone else using a Timex HRM?

Options
KALMdown
KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
I have heard it tracks calories burned too high. I have noticed this myself and started to enter the number at 50% of the reading. It is accurate for everything else. Except for the calorie burned tracking problem, I like the Timex. It's waterproof (for when doing laps in the pool), has splits (ditto), and is fairly easy to setup.

If anyone else has one, how are you entering your calories burned if you are using that feature?

SORRY MY COMPUTER GLITCHED ON ME AND PUT THIS IN THE WRONG BOARD... :(

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use one. I do believe it overestimates caloric burn when resistance training so I ignore the number. It is much closer to the cardio machines estimates, but these are reputed to be high anyway. I just try to eat no more than half the exercise calories back to make sure I'm OK.

The most accurate unit I've used is the bodymedia devices.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use one. I do believe it overestimates caloric burn when resistance training so I ignore the number. It is much closer to the cardio machines estimates, but these are reputed to be high anyway. I just try to eat no more than half the exercise calories back to make sure I'm OK.

The most accurate unit I've used is the bodymedia devices.

I'm thinking when/if the Timex dies, I'll just get a Polar. I usually underestimate calories burned anyways. Just in case.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I use one. I think it runs a little high but is comparable to MFPs database and the machines at my gym. I usually reduce the calorie burn by 1/3. My next one will be a polar.