Working out in sweats-

Options
My boxing coach recommended to me to wear sweats while working out to maximize the calories I burn, after doing some reasearch on the subject I've seen both positives and negitives for it. (I've found on the Livestrong website that they recommend it for jogging, but not for running.) Can anyone give me their point of view on this? I've been wearing a hoodie now for the past 2 weeks and it kicks my booty during class!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference other than make you hotter and sweat more and fatigue faster. Which I don't find particularly pleasant or useful. Therefore, I use basketball shorts and those really lightweight moisture-wicking shirts. Much better.
  • wattsj56
    wattsj56 Posts: 94
    Options
    i run / power walk with sweatpants and a sweatshirt :D
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out how sweat pants can increase your burn. These must be made of metal instead of cotton, I guess?

I never heard that. Sweats are comfy, to be sure. :ohwell:
  • kindo
    kindo Posts: 11
    Options
    The only thing that is going to increase is your temperature and therefore sweat level which means you will dehydrate and appear to have lost weight. This is a proven dangerous practice.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That sounds like utter bull :D You're going to really dehydrate yourself doing that and not so good for your skin being unnecessarily drenched in sweat. I always get a heat rash when too hot and sweaty. I think comfort is more important! Go you with the boxing tho!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn more calories, it makes you sweat more so you lose water weight, which you get right back once you drink water again.

My husband was a wrestler in high school and in order to make weight they would be forced to go for runs wearing sweats because it would make them drop water weight for their weigh-ins. And then as soon as they were weighed, they'd go drink a bunch of water and eat some food in order to try to get their strength up to go wrestle.
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with wearing sweats. I too was a wrestler in high school and yea we did run with multiple layers of sweats beanies and trashbags to lose water weight but we knew it was just water weight we were losing. You are going to sweat more but everyone gets dehydrated when they run unless they don't have sweat glands. That's why you always make sure to drink water before during and after all workouts. I also believe if you get used to running with 3-5 lbs of sweats and another 3-5 lbs of water in those sweats then when you perform with just light weight shorts and shirts it'll be easier for you. I see no harm in working out in sweats as long as you keep hydrating during and after.
  • BoxinHunny
    Options
    I've seen research on the subject go both ways, that it does burn more or it doesn't. But I feel more exhausted after wearing a hoodie boxing then I do in just work out clothes, at the end of the class I'm actually done working out, there is not a doubt in my mind that all I want to do is pass out on the mats!

As far as being dehyrdrated- I drink a butt ton of water during the day, enough water during my work out and then continue drinking after, I know the risks of getting so hot during a work out that it hurts me, but if this is one more thing I can just add to make the burn better I have no problem gettin a little extra sweaty :)
  • Antonio_1
    Options
    It doesnt matter if your wearing sweats or shorts and tshirt, the only difference is your making your body temperature get warmer wearing a hoodie and sweating more. Sweating more doesnt necessarily mean your burning more calories
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've seen research on the subject go both ways, that it does burn more or it doesn't. But I feel more exhausted after wearing a hoodie boxing then I do in just work out clothes, at the end of the class I'm actually done working out, there is not a doubt in my mind that all I want to do is pass out on the mats!

As far as being dehyrdrated- I drink a butt ton of water during the day, enough water during my work out and then continue drinking after, I know the risks of getting so hot during a work out that it hurts me, but if this is one more thing I can just add to make the burn better I have no problem gettin a little extra sweaty :)

If anything, you're getting hotter than you would normally which means you get tired faster - less calories burned.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants > Sweats
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Wear the most comfortable thing. You're not going to burn more calories sweating more.
  • BoxinHunny
    Options
    it dont matter if I'm boxing in sweats or naked, my coach don't let me stop until he says stop- So even if working out in sweats doesn't make me burn more calories, I'm not burning any less doing it either.