Swimming, Leisurely, Not Lap Swimming, General

Options
Does anyone know what is considered Swimming, Leisurely, Not Lap Swimming, General? Any insight on this would be helpful to me. I spend alot of time in the pool in the summer months. Thanks!

Replies

• Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Interesting question! I looked at some of the options. I guess if you are not lap swimming, you may be moving in some other way..it looks like it depends on what you are doing. For example, I noted that 15 minutes of treading water (moderate) expended 107 calories as did water aerobics/calisthenics. Leisurely swimming takes more energy so you burn 161 calories in 15 minutes.
    So, if you were in the pool for, say a half hour, and half of it you were swimming, and half of it you were actively 'puddling around', I'd log that you burned 268 calories in the half hour (107 plus 161). Sometimes its just a matter of thinking of other words to search for when logging (i.e. treading water, water aerobics etc) so that you find what to log. I don't know if this helps, but hope so!
    All the best, and enjoy the pool!
  • bdorris1023
    bdorris1023 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same exact question! I go to the lake weekly, I'm just playing in the water, casually floating and treading and swimming about. I don't know which to pick, "Treading, Moderate" or "Leisurely, General" ....any insight?
  • achaiadust
    achaiadust Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not sure with leisurely constitutes as, however, I do know that if you're casually playing around with no effort, you're not exactly exerting yourself. You'll burn calories, of course. But not nearly as many as you would putting forth effort. I would say look at the kids playing. They're dashing, flipping, holding breath, chasing, talking, yelling, walking... If I did that I'd burn 9 million calories too. XD This is my bust guess by the way, don't take it as a truth. :3 All I know is, I burn a whole lot more mucking around in the pool than I do 20 minutes of brisk walking. Way better for my joints and breathing too.