How to buy healthy and eat healthy on small budget?

Options
I'm new to this website and today is actually the first day I've started a weight loss program. I'm also a jobless college student who lives with her mother, so I don't have my own income to buy healthy for myself. I have some say on the food we buy, but from the times I've tried to eat healthier it always seemed to cost so much more. I'm not sure what exactly I'm asking for...maybe some cheap, healthy recipes? Any tips on how to eat healthy even when there's not much healthy food available? I'm just trying to keep myself from being unmotivated. If I know we don't have anything healthy to eat, I'll make myself believe there's nothing I can do about it and eat all the bad stuff haha. Thanks so much in advance. I truly appreciate it.

Replies

• Feralsquirrel
    Feralsquirrel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Healthier does tend to cost more depending on what you're buying. I have trouble eating it all because it's just me and I end up throwing a lot away due to poor planning. The no budget thing can be a problem, because unless you're freezing everything as soon as you get home from the store, healthy means fresh, which means going to the store more often and burning gas. Certain fruits and vegetables can be fairly cheap, and if you watch for sales on meat it can be frozen for quite some time.

Soups are fairly healthy and easy to make. Sometimes I just throw whatever vegetables I have into a pot and see what happens. Otherwise, I'm having the same problem. :/
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you are a smart shopper and planner, eating healthy does not need to be expensive nor lead to a lot of waste. I have a family of 6 and spend about $90-100 on food and toiletry items a week (including diapers). I don't think that is extremely low, but a decent budget for a family my size compared to what I hear others spend. I don't buy a lot of junk food but also don't eat 100% clean, either.

I really like to get new recipe ideas from Pinterest. Each week I figure out what I am going to make for the week and make a list. When creating the menu I take our week's activities into consideration (do I need to have a crock pot meal or two due to being busy or working late? Do we have sports or other activities to plan for? Which days do I have more time to make longer meals or prep for other days?). I also look at what we already have on hand and work from there. If there is something I Want to make that uses a lesser used ingredient (like cilantro) I try to find other ways to use that ingredient as well. When choosing produce I buy some items that need to be eaten right away and others that will last longer (blueberries, buy a pineapple that isn't quite ripe yet, etc). I also try to prep food as much as possible before cooking day (this is a work in progress as I learn new ways to be more efficient with my time). I cook batches of chicken breast in the crock pot or oven and then freeze in individual portions (shredded, cubed, etc). Same with ground beef or turkey. I have chicken breasts or other meats frozen in a bag with the marinade already in it. Things like that save time during the week and lead to less eating out.

Can you give examples of things that you would normally eat and we can give ideas for recipes or better options?
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I also wanted to link this website. I found it in a magazine a few years ago and it had some good info. I haven't looked at it for awhile but it looks the same. It has healthy recipes that are cheap (aimed at people who are on food stamps).

http://recipefinder.nal.usda.gov/
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eating within season is a great help also.
    Buying specials, cooking meals and freezing portions is always good.
    Making sure you use things up in the fridge, ie yoghurt that may expire or cheese so nothing gets wasted.
    Meal planning once a week and sticking to it - has helped me with my budget and also weight loss (before I found MFP)
    Having a meat free meal a week or two, ie fried rice or a frittata to use up leftovers and veges in the fridge - easily made tasty with spices/seasonings.

Goodluck.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    oats, rice, beans & potatoes are your new best friend! also frozen veg/fruit/berries :)
    buy them in bulk to save even more, they pretty much never spoil!
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    I make pizzadillas

whole wheat tortillas
    pizza sauce
    fat free cheese
    pepperoni

just take and put all of it in the tortilla, put in a pan on the oven. Fold it in half , Let it all melt, and cook for a couple of seconds. and there ya go. Quick healthy snack.
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I just recently started making these for quick kid-friendly lunches. The kids love them! I also make regular quesadillas as well (both on the electric griddle so I can do more than one at a time and it is nonstick). For those I use chicken, cheese, veggies or whatever else is on hand.
    I make pizzadillas

whole wheat tortillas
    pizza sauce
    fat free cheese
    pepperoni

just take and put all of it in the tortilla, put in a pan on the oven. Fold it in half , Let it all melt, and cook for a couple of seconds. and there ya go. Quick healthy snack.
  • maizeandblue19
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses, this is all very helpful and informative. I appreciate it tons :)!
  • maizeandblue19
    Options
    I also wanted to link this website. I found it in a magazine a few years ago and it had some good info. I haven't looked at it for awhile but it looks the same. It has healthy recipes that are cheap (aimed at people who are on food stamps).

http://recipefinder.nal.usda.gov/

This is an awesome and super helpful website! Thank you so much :)!