Slumpping, not sure if/how I should raise my calories

Options
The last few weeks I've not been losing any weight, just fluctuating within 1-2 pounds. I currently have my calories set for 1400 a day, but I have been having trouble making that and there are plenty of days I don't even break 1200. I feel like perhaps I need a few days at 1500-1600 calories to kick start my metabolism, but no matter how hard I try to "blow my calories", I still end up under my 1400. Apparently the healthier foods do too good of a job of filling me up. I'm hoping people can look at my diary and give me some words of wisdom as to how I can up my calories for a few days without upping my empty carbs/sugar/fatty junk foods and without upping the total volume of food too much. Feel free to add me as a friend while you're there!

As a pre-cursor, I don't really like nuts and am not huge on peanut butter, so those are things I'm not likely to add in even though I know they are higher calorie while still being healthy.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    try some foods with healthy fats (avocado, coconut, peanut butter, etc). They usually have more calories.
  • eyesus34
    Options
    My trainer used to add more fatty foods like avocado, salmon, and monounsaturated oil to her diet to pump up the calories. I'm thinking an extra tablespoon of oil will pump up your calories without wrecking your good eating habits. Check with other's do. I'd hate to wreck your progress. Keep up the good work.
  • Tucsonwoman
    Tucsonwoman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck too! I'm changing my exercise routine around too to see if that will get me losing again>
  • Tucsonwoman
    Tucsonwoman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't like avocado :(. Just straight peanut butter or peanut butter on something like toast?
  • judgerock810
    judgerock810 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A late night protein shake will actually help your metabolism spike at night. Something my wife and I have been doing is making different fruit smoothies as an evening snack. Just mix some milk, yogurt, ice and fruit together for a healthy low calorie snack.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocado, but unfortunately the grocery stores are out to get me and never have ripe ones. When I buy them still not ripe, I will forget I to check on them in a few days and when I do they'll have gone bad. Someone needs to get those avocados in line and then I'd happily eat them every day.

A protein shake at night? That could work. Do you mean like Boost? I really am not usually big on shakes and smoothies (I think it's a texture thing), but I can usually down a Boost pretty quickly, though it's usually as a meal on the go when I don't have time to eat breakfast before rushing out the door.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You do a great job. Could you add milk or a bit of cheese? Good source of protein, filling, and a bit of a calorie boost.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    MinaAriel - I would love to add more milk and cheese. I am lactose intolerant. I can usually handle Almond milk and solid cheeses in moderation but more triggers a bad stomach day. Though, since I started taking chia seeds I've noticed less of a sensitivity (I'm even able to have greek yogurt for breakfast occasionally! I could NEVER have yogurt before) so I probably should make an effort to incorporate more dairy into my diet now. See how far the chia will actually get me ;)